bags on the ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
sapphirecat

bags on the ferry

Post by sapphirecat »

This is a letter that appeared in the STT Source today. I'd never heard this complaint before. How are your experiences?

Dear Source:

Another source of dissatisfaction with the ferryboat companies is the handling of passengers' baggage.
Carry on bags that fit in airline overhead compartments and are not checked as baggage with the airlines are taken from passengers and all thrown together with large and heavy checked baggage.
Ferryboat passengers not only risk damage to their small bags and the contents, but then must wait while all other checked baggage is off loaded by the crew.
Carry on bags should not be taken away from passengers and piled beneath larger luggage if the carry on bag will fit beneath the passenger's seat on the ferry.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

And the ticket seller never has coins for change..

She asked me if I had a bag and I looked down at my feet and said yes.

I didn't know until the boat was underway that you have to pay extra and get a decal for your bag(s).

One of the workers asked me about it while underway.. Said I needed to make sure that I get that sticker next time.

I slid closer and said that is not my responsibility, talk to the ticket gal and the guy who took my ticket as I approached the boat.

He was polite but it felt like a shake down. Being from New Orleans it was no big deal. :lol:
loria

Post by loria »

it always has seemed random and voluntary to me--i have seen guys with BIG back packs carry them on and up the stairs with no luggage fees/tags--i have seen small bags get tagged and stowed.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

If it really is a carry on ie: will fit under the seat infront of you on your flight I always just say "it's a carry on" and keep walking :)

Pia
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

On Saturday, they were making anyone with anything much bigger than a backpack check it. The people I saw they took the bag and didn't charge them, but they didn't let them keep it in their seats. The ferry was quite full.

I hate how they handle my luggage. I always try to sit where I can see it, because I'm always afraid that one day it's going to fall into the ocean the way they load it on to the boat.
jenrale

Post by jenrale »

Just be assertive - it works. Tell them in a firm voice that "this is carry-on and I am keeping it with me." No other explanation required.