a few questions about travel day

Travel discussion for St. John
citygirl

a few questions about travel day

Post by citygirl »

I've been reading a lot of reports about travel day and a few questions come to mind. How long does it really take to get from the airport to STJ using the taxi and Red Hook Ferry system? Also, any suggestions on how early we should be at the airport for our flight home? Thanks for your help.
citygirl
Pia

Post by Pia »

Taxi to Red Hook from the airport really depends on alot of factors

A. Time of Day. If not during rush hour approx 30 mins (give or take 5 mins) If during "rush" hour add anywhere up to 15 - 20 mins.
B. Is the whole taxi only going to Red Hook or do you have a few hotel drop off's along the way - you never know - hotel drop off's add time.

C. Ferry to STJ - 15 mins

D. If departing on a Saturday or Sunday (peak days) and especially if betwen the hours of 1pm and 4:30pm allow at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours at the airport (add 1 hour to that for ferry and taxi to the airport from STJ) If not on those days be there at least 2 hours before departure.

Hope this helps.

Pia
kakiwynn

Ferries don't leave on time anyway

Post by kakiwynn »

One thing I was surprised about in June:

We arrived in St. Thomas around 2:00. After a very, very, very long wait for luggage (I just can't manage to meet the carry on requirement for liquids), we got in a taxi to the Red Hook ferry. As instructed by the villa management company, we called them en route to let them know we were on our way. They said we would make the 4:00 ferry, and they would meet that one. I thought there was no possible way we would make it. We did pull up to the ferry dock at 3:55, only to be met by a very long line of people buying tickets and checking luggage. However, the lines moved quickly, and the ferry left late. So, we did make the 4:00 ferry.

Remember, it's the islands. Things move differently there. You have to lose all expectations of time related to the real world. So, don't stress.
Ryn

Post by Ryn »

We were just there in April and went from Tue to Tue. Flew out of ORD on the 6 am flight on American through MIA - 2 hour layover, landed in STT at about 3 pm, got our luggage (nothing was missing :) and all was relatively quick, took a private taxi (Bazile's Taxi Service 340-776-8673 $15 per person plus tip), no stops along to Red Hook, able to catch the 4 p.m. ferry that was running a bit late, met up with Lisa from vacation vistas, got rental car at Cool Breeze, then off to villa. We were in the villa by about 5:30 p.m. Long day but not really that bad...

On the return, we almost missed our plane due to lines at customs and security. As Pia said, get to the airport atleast 2 hours prior to departure. This was also on a Tuesday!

Had a great time and now am trying to talk everyone into going back!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Yes, just remember island time. If you are used to Chicago just slow things down about 75%. :D
We had a 1 hour + taxi ride from the airport to Red Hook because the driver decided to take us on a scenic route. I was fine with that becasue he was driving slow and seemed safe.
I called the villa rep and told her we were making the 5:00 ferry, but we made an in-between 4:45 ferry so we waited at the dock in STJ for awhile. It was hot, but I was still fine with that because ,hey, I was on STJ!
My husband grew up in the Chicago suburbs so he was getting antsy. After all of these years he still thinks he needs to be in a hurry all of the time.

So just relax and be patient and you will be fine.

We allowed 3 hours at the airport on departure day and it was plenty of time (but it was a Friday).

Have fun!!
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

We got our taxi from STT to RH quickly and the ride was wild, but it went by quickly. 30 mins? We caught the 5pm to CB, no wait there. The ferry ride was about 20 mins?. Just relax and do whatever you have to do. On departure day we got to STT 2 hrs early and that was perfect (Saturday).
citygirl

Post by citygirl »

Wow!! Thanks for the quick and very detailed responses. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with me. It's nice to have some idea of what kind of time is involved here. Thanks.

citygirl