Live from St. Thomas Marriott

Travel discussion for St. John
SoCaTraveler

Live from St. Thomas Marriott

Post by SoCaTraveler »

We made it.... Boy that was a LONG set of flights from California!! Arrived at the hotel around 3 p.m. yesterday.

Today was supposed to be our 1st St. John day but it was raining heavily for a brief period when I got up. So we may just hang out on St. Thomas, take a tour of the island, etc. and head over to STJ on Thursday (tomorrow is a scuba day for hubby and daughter here on STT). Yesterday the weather was gorgeous, by the way! Quite warm (actually hot) but gorgeous.

Can't wait to start exploring!

Carole
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. By the way – who is hubby diving with. A few years back we dove out of STT with Chris Sawyer and they were great.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Congrats on your arrival, albeit a rainy one!

We will be at the Marriott on next Friday! How is it so far? I've heard the restaurants on the property are fairly expensive.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Glad you made it!
Have a great time.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Yea... I know all about LONG flights to STT. But somehow, it's worth it when you finally are there. It's worse to go home.

Have a great vacation!
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Don't let an early morning rain deter you. It's been bright and sunshiney since 8am!
RL 8)
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Thanks everyone!!

Yes, we're going with Chris Sawyer tomorrow. My son and I will snorkel while daughter and hubby dive.

So far, so good, for the Marriott. Our room is fine. We asked for an upgrade to stay on the Morningstar side (hubby is a platinum Marriott client) but they were full... so we're in the Main Bldg. at Frenchman's Reef.

I think the family is FINALLY ready and we're off for a day of exploring!!

Carole
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Carole - How exciting that you're there! Too bad you couldn't get a room at Morningstar, but at least it's only a short walk to the beach there. Try Coco Joe's for food, we really liked it there! Enough Iguanas for you? ha ha! :lol:
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Yes, Margo... the iguanas are everywhere here at the Marriott! The kids are enjoying feeding them.

We also saw a pretty big iguana strutting down the beach today right in front of where we were sitting at Secret Harbour. I think he was scrounging for food!
Last edited by SoCaTraveler on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Yippee for you all...have fun and we can't wait to hear more and more and more!! :D
Coden
djmom

Post by djmom »

Tell kids to be careful feeding the iguanas. My 5 year old ignored the sign and our repeated warnings (do not hand feed) and was bitten last year (at the Westin). One licked her and she took that as a sign of affection, so she kept hand-feeding it and it bit her.

It was actually funny because she was screaming her head off and there was just one tiny drop off blood. She wasn't screaming about the pain, just that iguanas were now her "second worst" animal, next to "gorillas".

Just a story a mother would love, I'll never forget it. :)
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Thanks djmom - my kids have actually been throwing food to the iguanas from a couple of feet away. But we saw others handing food directly to them and sort of "petting" / touching them. That was a bit brave!!

I heard they are attracted to red. I know the one we saw yesterday at Secret Harbour was walking toward a red beach bag!

Carole
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

When we were there, there was a BIG iguana working the outdoor restaurant. I was throwing him some lettuce from my salad, then as he walked over to another table, he left a big present on the floor behind him. Where else could you see something like that in a restaurant? I just love iguanas!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Carole,
Glad your kids are using their heads. Hand feeding isn't brave, it is stupid! My daughter won't do it this year! We had to call a doctor and everything-to make sure they didn't carry disease-just in case. Felt pretty stupid, the doctor (on call with Westin) says we weren't the first call by any means.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Carole

Hope you have fun with Chris Sawyer - it's a good operation. Also, make sure you hit Uncle Buddies on Coki Beach - real deal food & drinks. The owner's name is Penn and he makes a great Bushwacker. His wife does all the cooking and its real deal island food. Enjoy.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"