Class of 2013 - Day 6 - It's Boat Day!

Travel discussion for St. John
pswlrw

Class of 2013 - Day 6 - It's Boat Day!

Post by pswlrw »

It always amazes me that on Monday you feel like you have been on island a while and that you have SO much time in front of you. Then you wake up and it’s Thursday. The consolation – It’s Boat Day!

Born to Rhumb by pswlrw, on Flickr

We have been out with Born to Rhumb every year. This year is the first year since Captain Kevin sold the boat to his first mate Andi and she and her husband Shane did not disappoint. We had a fabulous day! The ride over was a little rough, but the boat handled it well and we all had big smiles on our faces. We checked into customs as Sophers Hole and had some painkillers for breakfast. Hey, there’s fruit in them :lol:

GEDC0522 by pswlrw, on Flickr

For anyone who has read any of my previous trip reports, you know that Sandy Spit is a real spiritual place for me. Something about that little island just speaks to me and I am overcome with wonderful emotion whenever I go. I have a ritual where I stand on the end of the island alone, look at where am I and have a cleansing and restorative weep. For me, it is such a blissful experience. This year was no different and it was our first stop of the day.

St. John from iphone 016 by pswlrw, on Flickr

I was not alone in feeling the special magic of Sandy Spit. (This is one my favorite pictures of the trip – most of which, by the way, were taken by my friend Phyllis who has a wonderful eye).

253285_10151514051489125_2016996975_n by pswlrw, on Flickr

We spent a lovely hour or so here, until several boats pulled in, so we headed out. My darling daughter had asked Shane if they had Jimmy Cliff’s Many Rivers to Cross on the ipod for our approach to Sandy Spit. He downloaded it while we were on the island, so played it as we pulled away. Just perfect.

Born to Rhumb with Sandy Spit in the distance by pswlrw, on Flickr

We headed over to Foxy’s Taboo for lunch. I had never been here before and we really enjoyed it. The view was beautiful, the food was fresh and delicious, the drinks were strong and the service was excellent.

Foxys Taboo by pswlrw, on Flickr

Next, we head to Foxys. I have been here 4 or 5 times and never seen Foxy. We head to the bar and no Foxy today. But Taboo was there and made fast friends with one of the kids. We swam, lounged in the hammocks, enjoyed. It was great.

foxys by pswlrw, on Flickr

New friend Taboo by pswlrw, on Flickr

Several of us walk back to the boat on the beach and couple of the kids take the road. When they got back to the boat, they said some guy started “rapping” at them about towns in Massachusetts when they walked by. Yup – it was Foxy!

Next and final stop – White Bay. Just beautiful. Painkillers. Ring Game. Gertrudes. Mic. Laughs. A wonderful couple of hours.

mic by pswlrw, on Flickr

bost at white bay by pswlrw, on Flickr

Headed back to St. John and a little gull followed the boat and one of the kids fed it leftover muffin. Joyous.

Headed back to the villa and had leftover spaghetti for dinner and enjoyed drinks, music, hot tub and each other’s company. An absolutely great day.
Paula

sherban

Re: Class of 2013 - Day 6 - It's Boat Day!

Post by sherban »

Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

AWWW...Taboo...my 11 year old will be THRILLED to know hes still hanging around...I'm loving your trip report...thanks for sharing it with us...
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Awesome pic of Mic- he wasn't working when we were there on Memorial Day, so glad to see that smile!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting