Carry on Only Tips?

Travel discussion for St. John
mrscherry2000

Carry on Only Tips?

Post by mrscherry2000 »

I really want to be able to jump off the plane in St. Thomas and straight to a cab to Red Hook. Anyone have tips for carry on only? We'll have a washer/dryer so that's a big plus, I'm planning on renting our fins and just bringing our snorkels/masks though I may even just leave them behind and rent as well. I figure I can find some sunscreen on the island somewhere ;) guess it's our other liquids etc.

This is big for me, I'm an overpacker and always seem to have a ton of clothes I never wear.
KTinTX

Re: Carry on Only Tips?

Post by KTinTX »

mrscherry:

First...you CAN do it. My wife is a classic overpacker and she was able to do carryon only for our first STJ trip a few years ago.

Others will tell you WHAT to pack, but the keys for me are:
1. Invest in a quality bag. Style Is personal but I have an Osprey brand backpack type of bag. Awesome and very durable. My wife prefers wheeled so she has an ultra lightweight roller from L. L. Bean. also a great bag.

2. Roll your clothes very tightly. Don't fold or stuff. It will make a difference and very minimal wrinkles if that kinda thing bothers you on STJ!

3. Use a fixed rate Priority Mail box to ship any larger liquids you'll want like sunscreen, contact lens solution, etc. to Connections. If you aren't brand choosy you can probably buy on island for less than the postage unless you have a lot of different liquids.

Good luck
KT
mrscherry2000

Post by mrscherry2000 »

If I send the package tomorrow, do you think it would get there by the time I arrive next Saturday? I'm in Maryland. I know the mail is awfully slow down there.
mrscherry2000

Post by mrscherry2000 »

Great suggestions btw. Thanks!
toni

Post by toni »

We usually do carry on only, though its easier in the summer because we aren't bundled up with coats etc.

My carry on is a back back style piece of luggage, then my personal item is a lightweight backpack/book bag type of thing.

We don't bring fins/mask because we don't snorkel.

Liquids-I'm pretty sure you can bring contact lens solution in a big bottle, I believe that the tsa site allows that. Other liquids-I buy the small empty 3oz plastic travel bottles and fill them up with with suntan fluids, shampoos, aloe, moisturizer whatever. You can fit as many of those into your qt Baggie as you can. Just mark what they are - don't want to wash your hair with suntan lotion :lol:
The little tubes of toothpaste you get at the dentists are good for traveling too.

And as long as you have laundry you're good to go. You don't need too many clothes unless you want to eat out "dressy" all the time, and even that's relative for the islands.

I think one year we used one of those space saver bags in the luggage, not the kind you need a vacuum for, but the kind you just roll tight to remove the air. We didn't have laundry facilities that time. They make things wrinkle if I remember is all.

Have fun!
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Hmmmm...I'd say mailing today for next Saturday is possible, but a little risky for anything you would HAVE to have. I always have allowed 10 business days even for priority mail. It's never taken that long but it sometimes can. Instructions on Connections website give addressing instructions for best results.
KT
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Hello mrscherry! We just got back from a week in STJ and my family of 5 all did the carry on only. We each had a backpack and a small piece of rolling luggage. Both were stuffed full, but we did it. The washer and dryer saved us because we had wet clothing everyday, but we could wash and dry everything at night and wear it again the next day. Are you staying in a villa? If so check and see if they have important items. Our villa had hair dryers, beach towels, beach chairs, noodles, sunscreen, bug spray, coolers, beach bags, it was awesome! Plus, there was shampoo and soap in each bathroom. We also brought coffee, trail mix, chocolate, and we were glad we did.
Happy packing and enjoy!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

MrsCherry, if you decide to mail a box to Connections, make sure you'll be arriving in time to pick it up. They close early-ish on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays, if memory serves me. You'll have to get that box mailed out tomorrow. Use the one-price priority mail box only (any size you want, but it should be a one price "if-it-fits-it-ships" box, and follow the mailing instructions (address) on the Connections site to the T. You should call Connections, too, and "ask" if you can send it there. It's no more of a long distance call than any out of state call.
And if you do a search here, you might come up with some ideas of what to put in the box.
Happy vacation!
brenda

Post by brenda »

If you are staying at a villa, you may be able to mail it directly to the villa company. I would definitely get it in the mail tomorrow! We stayed at Grande Bay who used St John Villa Company. I mailed it to them, and it was at our condo when we arrived.
Going "home" again October 26th!
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

We did a 15 day trip in Nov. with Carry-On only. You will buy t-shirts and other momentos. Our next trip will also be carry-on only, and we will send things ahead to where we are staying. Sunscreen, DEET spray (yes, the no-see-ums are going to eat you!), extra food items, etc. Connections is a great option. They have locations in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay. I loved Carry-on. It took A LOT of convincing to get my wife to try it. After packing, I took a look at what I packed, and cut out HALF! Then, I eliminated a little more! I had 2 or 3 things STILL, that I never used! You will spend most of you time in shorts, and t-shirts. Long sleeve anything was a waste of space. Carry-on RULES! The airlines cannot lose your carry on item! I had plenty of space, even after I packed my CPAP machine!