North Shore swell conditions

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

North Shore swell conditions

Post by Exit Zero »

I often see posts that question the ocean swell conditions for the N. shore beaches - so I hope this post helps -- I use this site and consider it fairly accurate in the predictive phase. It shows an upcoming 10'-12' swell for the next few days.
http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display ... rib_height

I also look at the buoy report 170 NM north of STJ for their real time info - this shows an increasing wave height and a good graph if you click on the symbol for it - the height usually translates to local conditions in about 12 hours.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41043

Using both it is pretty easy to understand the current and approaching swell conditions for swimming, snorkeling or mooring overnight on the N. coast of STJ.
Pia

Re: North Shore swell conditions

Post by Pia »

And we were just issued a High Surf Advisory until (currently) 11am December 24th

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for this information. This is my first winter trip. I hope we'll get to enjoy the North shore beaches! Can you tell me what #s are good numbers, and/or what colors are good colors?
coldfront

Post by coldfront »

I'm a VI noob :D Does anyone know how often these occur? Or is it just one of those bizarre weather things where you never know? Thanks!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I thought it was newb (one syllable only)? :o

Anyway, it depends on what time of the year you're going. The swells are common in the winter months, but during the summer the water is quite calm.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Trunk was pretty mellow on Friday, but the swells rolled in on Saturday, and made for some lively surf. This should break tomorrow (Monday). When there is heavy surf, it is still calm as soon as you get out past the shore break. Pay attention entering and exiting, though; I saw some people bowled over by a wave they didn't see coming. If you are there under these conditions, though, hang your gear, especially electronics, from a tree; rogue waves can make it all the way up the sand and surprise you. Here's a photo from Saturday:
Surf's Up!
Surf's Up!
Kevin

PS: There are lots of other beaches (Maho, south side, etc) that will be calm.