Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes on my !!!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes on my !!!!!

Post by Pia »

Yep they have arrived :(

After the 2 days of rain 10 days ago they are arriving in force. We just tried to walk our dogs on the road to Annaberg and after 10 minutes had to turn back - Coqui our black Aussie had probably 20 all swarming her and last night Les and I stood on our deck, 2 mossie rackets in hand and swatted for a good 10 mins (until I couldn't stand it anymore) so if you are arriving soon bring lots of spray.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
kirk

Re: Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes, Mosquitoes on my !!!!!

Post by kirk »

I have a lizard on my leg eating 'em as they come by.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

How long do you think they will last? What is the chance of them still be around for Christmas?
Jenn, News of St. John
silands

Post by silands »

I do carry on only and I think they would take the bug spray at the airport, anybody have any ideas what to do?
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

OK... I think our timing might be OK with this one, as we arrive in 9 days. I certainly hope so, as I endured the May, 2009 mosies that are still referenced on this and the other forum. They were like swarming, biting 747s. :lol: :lol: :lol:

silands - you can buy bug spray, and bite relief products once you arrive. Some forumites swear by the West Indian bite relief products that are sold in various places. I think we bought some at one of the stores by Skinny Legs.
silands

Post by silands »

thanks for the info, I will give it a try when I get there in March!!! :D :D
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

CTBG: I'll ship down some of my homemade catnip concoction (see the other thread); it's likely that you won't feel any need to use it, but it will be there if you do. Being on a hilltop, the trade winds usually make it fine to be outside without any spray. We already provide our guests complimentary bottles of a lemon/eucalyptus/patchouli spray that I found online, and which works reasonably well. Personal skin chemistry also really matters; some people barely get bit even when there are mosquitoes.

Silands: You are allowed to pack as many 3.4 oz (100 ml) bottles as will fit in a one-quart plastic zip-lock bag per person, so carry-on restrictions shouldn't stop you from bringing enough bug spray.

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eala

Post by eala »

We love these little wipes called Scrubs Sun Skeeter. It seems to have just enough Deet to work but not totally soaking yourself in pesticide. After application we put the used wipe in our pocket, tie it on the dogs collar or near the tents' door/picnic table leg ect. and it continues to keep away the annoying pests (mosquitoes, noseeums, or sand fleas) that would make vacation uncomfortable. We've had no trouble flying with them cause it's not a liquid and they don't break open in our bags/purses. You can also grab a few or a bunch for travel and one application seems to last about 8 hours.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

eala wrote:We love these little wipes called Scrubs Sun Skeeter. It seems to have just enough Deet to work but not totally soaking yourself in pesticide. After application we put the used wipe in our pocket, tie it on the dogs collar or near the tents' door/picnic table leg ect. and it continues to keep away the annoying pests (mosquitoes, noseeums, or sand fleas) that would make vacation uncomfortable. We've had no trouble flying with them cause it's not a liquid and they don't break open in our bags/purses. You can also grab a few or a bunch for travel and one application seems to last about 8 hours.
Thanks for that tip eala! I will search for those...
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Awww...the rain you speak of was the day we arrived. It POURED!
We got ready for dinner and were waiting by the street trying to figure out how to get from Grande Bay to some of the restaurants..The mgr at GB gave me his umbrella as he walked in the rain. I <3 STJ.
However..we made it to High Tide and upon entering with my umbrella some "lovely" man at the bar said "It's her fault! Get rid of that umbrella..throw it in the ocean..." lol :D
Didn't carry it after that.... :? and no more heavy rain... :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Coconuts wrote:CTBG: I'll ship down some of my homemade catnip concoction (see the other thread); it's likely that you won't feel any need to use it, but it will be there if you do. Being on a hilltop, the trade winds usually make it fine to be outside without any spray. We already provide our guests complimentary bottles of a lemon/eucalyptus/patchouli spray that I found online, and which works reasonably well. Personal skin chemistry also really matters; some people barely get bit even when there are mosquitoes.
Thanks!
Jenn, News of St. John
inuny

Post by inuny »

On island now and I've never seen so many mosquitoes here. I was at maho this morning around 8 am with my kindle-just wanted to relax and read. I couldn't stay-too many bugs.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yep they are brutal :(

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
brenda

Post by brenda »

We had that happen at Maho before. We only lasted a few minutes and then literally ran back to the car :lol: . Hawksnest the same day was not too bad. If we got out of the car to take a picture there would be a ton of them inside. I told my newbie, when they are bad, they are really bad. Fortunately we lucked out this trip!
Going "home" again October 26th!
ABCMom

Post by ABCMom »

We just returned to the states on Saturday after two amazing weeks in STJ. Everything was wonderful, except the mosquitos. As we were on the car ferry back to STT to return home, a very kind local, who saw my daughters scratching their numerous bites, suggested coconut oil. He said to use it to keep the bugs off and it also worked to relieve the itch. He claims you can buy it at many of the road side stands. Has anyone tried that?