A VIOL forumite has a book coming soon!

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

A VIOL forumite has a book coming soon!

Post by StJohnRuth »

One of our own VIOL members and our Massachusetts neighbor Maryanne O'Hara is a writer, which some of you may or may not know. Her previous publications have mostly been short stories, but now she has a novel coming from Viking Penguin in August. I stayed up way past my bedtime reading an early draft of this book and loved it. I can't wait to read it again.

The book is about a 1930's artist who is caught between duty and desire. She has made promises to her new husband, to her dying father and to her town, which is threatened with destruction since it might be flooded to build a reservoir. Those promises become difficult to keep when she meets another artist, a kindred spirit, who is off to live the artist's life in New York that she'd always planned for her self.

Several towns in Massachusetts were in fact flooded during the 1930's as a result of the creation of the reservoir system to provide safe public water to the Boston area. Maryanne's house and our house in Massachusetts are both located on one of these reservoirs so we have always found the history of this time period particularly interesting. (To read more about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quabbin_Reservoir )

Maryanne O'Hara's book Cascade will be available in August 2012, but you can pre-order it now so you don't forget! To pre-order or read more about Maryanne's book, visit her web site: http://www.maryanneohara.com/cascade/
The website is beautiful and contains captivating images and history from the 1930's which Maryanne has encountered in her research of this era. The slideshow on the home page will soon link to a book trailer, which will provide more teases about the book. The link below is to Maryanne's blog where she posts interesting items related to the place and time of the story in the book.
http://www.maryanneohara.com/postcards/

You can also pre-order the book through VIOL and help support this forum by clicking this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067002 ... 0670026026

To receive Maryanne's Postcards Blog items via Facebook, make sure to "Like" her Author Page on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryanne ... 14?sk=wall

Enjoy!
- Ruth
lprof

Post by lprof »

While I am eagerly awaiting Maryanne's book, I am enjoying her blog via postcards very much. How exciting all this must be... congratulations Maryanne!

Good to see you StJohnRuth and thanks for getting that Spice Cam back up to speed!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
inuny

Post by inuny »

I went to amazon.com to look up the book. The book cover is really cool. It will be available on kindle.

On the amazon site, I searched for "cascade". The book came up (will publish August 16) .with lots of links to cascade detergent!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Congratulations Maryanne! I will be linking to your postcard blog shortly!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

wow, thanks Ruth!

And thanks to all who had a look at my website, and iprof, inuny, and Tracy.

My greatest thrill will be the day I see someone on Francis or Cinnamon reading it! I missed STJ this year, but already have one of my favorite villas booked for next January and I can hardly wait!
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

It is a small world, Ruth & Maryanne, I also live in Hampshire Cty!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I have preordered it and cannot wait until it comes out. Maryanne and I have shared book recommendations for years and our tastes are very similar. Given this, I know I'll love a book written BY her. Plus, I highly recommend that you read some of her short stories. Written beautifully and very engaging.

Maryanne, could you post links to some of your favorites?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

This is very cool! I am definitely looking forward to reading it. Congratulations Maryanne!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Looking forward to reading this book on my Kindle. Congratulations, Maryanne and thank you Ruth for letting us know about this book.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Thanks so much Becky, and Marie, and STTlover, AND Marcia (xo)!

On my website contact page, I have a download that links to my book club's reading list history. I belong to a club that is 15 years old this year.

But for anyone who grew up loving "Jane Eyre" the way I did, Margot Livesey's "The Flight of Gemma Hardy" is a must. I'm so into it right now, and haven't slept in 2 nights.. It's like I'm a kid again, immersed and needing to read just one more page, staying up late into the wee hours...

But this is veering into OT territory. (Sorry, Anthony)

Again, thank you all. : )
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Congratulations Maryanne! And thank you Ruth for the information. I was able to pre-order the Nook version through B&N. Also a MA resident living in the vicinity of those reservoirs, I find the local history very interesting -- can't wait to read this book!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

ccasebolt wrote:Congratulations Maryanne! And thank you Ruth for the information. I was able to pre-order the Nook version through B&N. Also a MA resident living in the vicinity of those reservoirs, I find the local history very interesting -- can't wait to read this book!
Thank you so much! Maybe we will meet at a reading.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Very cool! Congrats!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Check out the video book trailer. Very cool.

http://www.maryanneohara.com/cascade-trailer/

- Ruth
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Congrats! I have pre ordered! I will save to read on the beach next Jan. How cool to see someone reading what you wrote. The trailer is very good. Can't wait, oh but then I promised to wait till Jan!!!!.