Coral Bay Questions

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Coral Bay Questions

Post by Xislandgirl »

Despite my hoping that the vacations Gods would take pity on me, we will be in Coral Bay for 8 nights in April. I know some folks love Coral Bay, but trust me when I tell you, it is not for me. That being said, we are staying in Coral Bay so I need some help.

We will be on the 3pm boat, pick up cars and head out. Once we get to the villa, I will need to get a few supplies. Milk for coffee, etc. Where do I go (yes, I am asking this question) and how late are they open? Will I be able to get a decent selection?
Do they have cheap rum?
Why do I feel like I am an island newbie? :lol:

Thanks!
loria

Post by loria »

Lilys market or love city--
lilys is open until about 10 and has all your basics
as well as rum, wine, etc... (it's in cocoloba plaza)
love city is across from where the dumpster is. Prices can be better here for certain things.

there is a liquor store across from island blues (name escapes me!)
you will be fine!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Re: Coral Bay Questions

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote: Why do I feel like I am an island newbie? :lol:

Thanks!
I know how you are feeling, I felt the same way before our recent trip.

The market next to Aqua Bistro (Lily's?) was still open after dinner (9pm-ish) when we were there. Decent selection, we stopped in several times during the week.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

X, loria answered your question...I like both Coral and Cruz bay and switch out between my Jan and May trips. I never thought I'd love staying in Coral Bay but I do. We have gotten quite used to the drive across the island and often take the prettier North Shore route. It's fun to explore the beaches over there that you may skip staying on the Cruz Bay side.

Any other info/advice you need - I know you're not a newbie but would love to alleviate your concern about Coral and make you more excited for this trip :)
NancyB
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Just FYI about Lily's; i thought that they have a pretty decent selection, and I found that their prices were actually less than Starfish most of the time. (Maybe my recollection isn't correct -- I'm not a really careful shopper on vacation).
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

lark22 wrote:Just FYI about Lily's; i thought that they have a pretty decent selection, and I found that their prices were actually less than Starfish most of the time. (Maybe my recollection isn't correct -- I'm not a really careful shopper on vacation).
Thats interesting, I found it to be just the opposite. I only visited Lily's twice, once to check prices and selection (I immediately left without purchase to head to Love City MM) and once when the Mini Mart did not have what I was looking for (bottle of wine for dinner I think)and it wasn't worth the trip to Cruz Bay. I found the selection to be much less than and the prices significantly higher than Starfish. Like I said though, it was one trip only and only for the items I was searching for.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Arrive at your villa before dark... Relax... Unpack... Relax... Breathe deeply and enjoy the warm, fresh air... Relax... Head to Shipwreck Landing for a great first dinner out, and stop at Lily's or Love City on your way home. You'll have plenty of time. They are both open until 10... Relax...
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Coral Bay has a certain 70's flair to it, which we love. The locals are all very friendly and we look forward to every trip we take there. We started out in the Chocolate hole area and ended up trying Coral bay on our 5th trip and were "hooked". As far as the markets go prices vary the only advice I would give is to get your produce at either Starfish or one of the local stands. The liquor store across from Island Blues is Cases by the sea and they are a great bunch of locals. We will be in Coral Bay around the same time as you are, maybe a meet and greet could be planned at our favorite spot Aqua Bistro if interested. anyhow have a great trip.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We always stop at Dolphin and get our initial supplies for the next day's breakfast before going on to the villa. Dolphin always has what we need and that way you don't have to wonder if Lily's will have it.

Just a suggestion about Lily's....check the expiration dates. I've often found their stuff to be past the sell by date.

If you can just get past your mental block about Coral Bay, I think you'll find it's more like a vacation (quieter). It's a good place to recharge your batteries but you have to get past that mental block first. So what is forcing you to try Coral Bay?
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

I'm not a big fan of Lily's. Very expensive and lousy selection. Can you stop at Dolphin or Starfish on your way out of town? That's what we do. (Actually, we get off the ferry, line up the car, leaving it at St. John's Car Rental, and immediately head out to happy hour, have dinner, go to Starfish, then head to the villa. lol)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I kind of understand your hesitancy about Coral Bay. We have stayed on that side of the island for our last 3 trips and I'm aching to get back to the Cruz Bay side.

This past trip (last August) we got Cruzan for $9.99 a bottle at Lily's. We got it on STT for $8.99.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Need2GetAway wrote:I'm not a big fan of Lily's. Very expensive and lousy selection. Can you stop at Dolphin or Starfish on your way out of town? That's what we do. (Actually, we get off the ferry, line up the car, leaving it at St. John's Car Rental, and immediately head out to happy hour, have dinner, go to Starfish, then head to the villa. lol)
We tried to move our villa greeter to an hour later than arrival but were met with a pretty firm NO. So we will be shopping in Coral Bay
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the greeter problem. We rented the same villa this last time, so we didn't need her to bring us up there.

The thing I like about Cruz Bay are the beach front bars and businesses. The thing I don't like about it are the tourists. If we stayed in Coral Bay (we stay on Bordeaux) we'd probably eat at Shipwreck every night. lol. But you can't beat happy hour in Cruz Bay...
loria

Post by loria »

Zoiks! i forgto to add that Josephines is just up the road from love city market-- great fresh greens/produce there just turn right at the dumpster (if you are heading out 107 towards salt pond) go on past love sity and up the road a piece you will see th egarden center there on your left...
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

Cases by the Sea (across the street from Island Blues) has an excellent liquor selection, and an outdoor fry cook area. Lily's market's bread was crazy expensive and stale.

Donkey Diner has great breakfasts.

I've only been to St. John once, but I LOVED Coral Bay, and consider Cruz Bay to be a place to get through to get to the real destination!

I hope you learn to love Coral Bay!! I miss it SO much!!!