News from Maho Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Lovermont

News from Maho Bay

Post by Lovermont »

loria

Post by loria »

ok. That. Just. Sucks. :x :(
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Unbelievably sad! I can't imagine what will happen to Maho Bay camps! :?
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I don't see anything, what happened, is it about the sell? Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

The text I got in an email:
Future of Maho Remains Unsettled

I am sorry to report that negotiations to extend our 37-year lease have been so far unsuccessful. Unless the landowners decide otherwise, Maho will close before July 31, 2012.

The land has been on the market for two years with a current asking price of $23 million. Should it fail to sell by April of next year, we could still receive a temporary reprieve to operate through the 2013-winter season. Yet, with only a few months notice, one can imagine how difficult it will be for our guests to plan their vacation. For example, I can no longer take bookings one year in advance. Currently, reservations are limited to this coming season only.

Whatever happens, I am proud that during the past 35 years Maho has gained a world-wide reputation as one of the first and leading eco-resorts. Those of you who have repeatedly chosen Maho as your prime vacation site will be as sad as I am that this great run ends.

Maho still has another year at least, and if you want to join what could be our last hurrah, I will do my best to give you the experience you have come to cherish.

With sincere regards,

Stanley Selengut
Matt
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Not good news at all. :(
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
parafins

Maho Camps

Post by parafins »

That was the main reason I wanted to go back this year.I wanted to stay at the Maho Bay Campground before it closed.I'm so glad I had the chance.I also got to meet Stanley while I was there.He shook my hand and we talked about the fate of Maho Campground.He told me the same story that you just read.It like Concordia, but Maho was special.It was a plaesure meeting you Stanley! Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I wanted to take our son to Maho before it closed (Mr. PA flat out refuses to consider camping in any form) but I don't think we will make it, too bad :(
jmq

Post by jmq »

Ya know, if I were the island loving multi-millionaire Kenny Chesney, I might step up and try to work with my fans to do something about this i.e. put a portion of proceeds from my summer tour or album sales or write a new song with proceeds going towards trying to buy Maho, or help the current owner resolve the leasing impasse; or ask fans to contribute, and whatever they contribute, triple it, etc. etc.
Not only a good cause, but good pub for me if I'm Kenny.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The land is 13.8 Acres - with a white sand beach - and is zoned for commercial development - at $23 M seems like prime hotel property - maybe condos and timeshares -- or just another Peter Bay , Ditleff Point, Privateer Bay - with lots of new rental villas - maybe it will take years to complete changing hands a few times like Pond Bay - certainly unlikely to be a campground.
Mr. Selengut had incredible foresight to negotiate a lease like that and pioneer eco tourism. His prescience saved that land from development for many years.
The local discount offered over the years has also allowed many VI families to stay there and expose our children to a beautiful place close to home.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Has the same property owner owned the 13.8 acre Maho Camps site all these 38-some years? Just curious.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Yes, I believe it is the same family that has owned it since the 70s . They do not live here and never have. I met a couple of them in a hotel in Anguilla in 1990, but have never heard of them being on St. John.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Interesting. I am always curious about stuff like this, how businesses came about, why families stay or go, sell or keep the land and such. It is pretty incredible that the Maho Camp guy was able to secure such a long lease.