Disney World question

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jdw

Disney World question

Post by jdw »

Thinking about a visit in December (December 16 - 21). If any of you have been during this time would love to hear about the crowds.

Thanks.

j.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I live about 1.5 hours from Disney. That time in December is nice. Schools are not out for winter vaca so crowds are minimal, sun is shining and humidity is low. The decorations are really nice and the parades are enjoyable. If you can swing it breakfast buffet with the characters is something you and your kids will really enjoy, my daughter is 22 and she cannot wait for her kids(when she has some)to have those fond memories. All in all it is a great time to visit. If you have any questions on what to do outside of Disney I will be more than happy to give you ideas. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

only issue is that it may be cold during that time frame
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've been there about six times in that general time frame. It's a nice time of year to go. It will be cold some days and warm others but in that environment I would rather be cold than hot.

If you have a little flexibility with your dates, I might choose the week before what you are considering. The closer you get to Christmas, the more crowded the parks get. There's actually a website that has a pretty accurate crowd predictor calendar on it (touringplans). You need to subscribe to get access to it. I think it's around $10. I'd check for you but I let my membership lapse since we are not going to Disney this year.

Make sure to buy tickets to the Christmas party. Yes, it's more money but the parade and fireworks are really great. Also be sure to see Illuminations at EPCOT. They have a special presentation for the holidays.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Im going to agree with liamsaunt, I might try going a little earlier in the month. We have been there 3 times between the 5th and the 20th and noticed more crowds as you get closer to the Holiday. I have been to Disney in just about every month and will say the Christmas season is way IMPRESSIVE !

The mickey Christmas party is great - Hot Cocoa, Gingerbread cookies and Snow (well, Disney snow)! AT Disney - what could be better! - we generally skip the first parade because its so crowded and hit the rides at that time, then watch the 2nd parade and then back on the rides - the park is WAY less crowded, we haven't waited more then 5 minutes on a line at this point.

The down side is you may not get any pool weather- the last 2 years have been a bust for us - but hey - its DISNEY - there is always plenty to do :D
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately we can't be flexible on the dates because my daughter is in school until the 16th and has tests that week that she can't miss.

If we leave to come home midweek then hopefully we will miss the crowds that will be coming in for Christmas.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

We vacationed there a couple times years ago in December, and I thought it was a great time to visit. Temps aren't that bad, and we were able to use the pools – though we may have just lucked out. The big upside is the parks aren't crowded and the Christmas decorations at the parks and resorts are stunning! Even more magical than usual.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I've been the week after Christmas, and although the crowds were bad (obviously) the weather was pretty nice...not pool weather, but we were wearing shorts! I think the week before Christmas should be great!!!
Image[/url]
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

this site has a lot of great info
http://allears.net/index.html
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

We go to WDW usually every year. Have been in December before Christmas, in fact those exact dates. It's a great time to go! It will get busier the closer to Christmas you get, but the big crowds usually don't come in until about the 22nd or 23rd then all he'll breaks loose after that LOL. A week earlier would probably be a little nicer crowd wise, but this is still a very nice week to go. The weather can be freezing or sweltering. It's a crap shoot. Be prepared for either!
jdw

Post by jdw »

This is great info!

Does anyone have a favorite resort they would like to recommend? We would like to stay in one of the Disney properties - moderate to deluxe price range.

My kids are older so we won't be attending a character breakfast, etc.

I like the Grand Floridian but I am not sure it is worth the price.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

I have been to Disney many times when I was younger and now we have taken the kids 3/4 times. When I was a kid we stayed in the Contemporary and with our kids have stayed at Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. We love both the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge - different feel with each resort. The Polynesian will give you a bit more leg room if that makes a difference. We have never stayed at Grand Floridian. It is a beautiful hotel and maybe one day when our kids are grown but to me just feels a littly to stuffy (not in a bad way). We love to go over there and eat at the restaurants. Our next visit we are going to try the Beach Club or Yacht Club as we will probably spend more time near Epcot since the kids are getting older. I hope this helps and any questions ask away.
rImage
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Beach Club would be our vote, we liked our stay there

the link I gave earlier will give great info
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Since your kids are older I would choose one of the EPCOT resorts. I've stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club and liked them both, giving a slight edge to Boardwalk. You can walk to EPCOT and Studios from either. I also enjoy the Savannah view rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and the Polynesian is a sentimental favorite.

I must share with you my Disney resort pet peeve though. All of the hotels have the same amenities in terms of linens and toiletries--everything is processed at a central facility. Fine for efficiency, but if I'm paying $300-500/night, I would appreciate a non-scratchy towel that is actually a decent size. All of the hotels have very thin walls--you will hear your neighbors. And you will hear what John and I call the "6 AM stampede" in the hallway every morning. You are paying for the theming. For comfort and amenities, Portofino over at Universal blows Disney's hotels out of the water.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

[quote="liamsaunt"]

I must share with you my Disney resort pet peeve though. All of the hotels have the same amenities in terms of linens and toiletries--everything is processed at a central facility. Fine for efficiency, but if I'm paying $300-500/night, I would appreciate a non-scratchy towel that is actually a decent size. All of the hotels have very thin walls--you will hear your neighbors. And you will hear what John and I call the "6 AM stampede" in the hallway every morning. quote]

so true what wrong with the 6 AM stampede gets you ready for the day
Our last stay was at the Contemporary (04 I think) at a Army rate of $99 a night :shock: .
Slades of Green was the old golf hotel Army rate is ony $156 now vs the 300-500 rate for same type of room