Forumite Down

Travel discussion for St. John
jimg20

Forumite Down

Post by jimg20 »

Diana and I took a trip to Bonaire with Sea-nile that started last Saturday. Our plan was to dive every day for a week and see the best reefs in the Western Hemisphere. We made our checkout dive Sunday morning at Buddy Dive and dove the house reef. After lunch we drove to 1000 Steps for our first shore dive. We suited up and walked down the steps to the beach. The transition from the last step to the beach is difficult. Several divers stumbled there. Diana was the last diver to come down. She stepped down to the ground, her ankle twisted and she broke both bones in the lower right leg. The dive team we were with helped us get her back up the stairs before the ambulance arrived. They took her to the island’s only hospital.

By comparison to call their system primitive would be a compliment. They took only one x-ray but it was clear that it was fractured. They still use plaster casts and their selection of pain medication is extremely limited. DAN med-evaced her out to the US. It took 4 segments to get back.

We encountered all sorts of friends, strangers and new friends who helped us get to our home-town hospital. It’s amazing how many people travel with their own supply of Vicoden.

At this moment Diana is in surgery getting the permanent repairs done with plates and screws. We’ll let you know how she does.

We have a dive trip planned for STJ in 100 days. She will be focusing on therapy and rehab so she will be ready to dive.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ohhhh...that's terrible!!! I'm so sorry to hear that Diana's leg got so broken and your trip got cut short after looking forward to it for so long! :( Sending good vibes from California for Diana's speedy recovery!
augie

Post by augie »

Jim - I'm so sorry to hear about Diana's accident!

Good thing you were smart enough to have DAN insurance.

Tell her that Leslie and I are keeping her in our thoughts, and look forward to seeing her underwater again!
Come see us!
loria

Post by loria »

Oh NO! Jim, that is just awful! I am really glad you were able to get Diana back to the US--keep us posted on how she is doing--Please let her know that she is in my thoughts as are you--
best,
Lori
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Re: Forumite Down

Post by PA Girl »

How awful! I had a friend experience a similar break, she slipped on ice and snapped both bones. She had a good recovery and I wish Diane the same.
jimg20 wrote: We encountered all sorts of friends, strangers and new friends who helped us get to our home-town hospital. It’s amazing how many people travel with their own supply of Vicoden.
We do. A couple of years ago my husband had a terrible problem with his back. It came out of nowhere and he couldn't move. It was scary because I couldn't get him off the floor. Physical theraphy cured it but ever since, I carry two days worth of Vicoden on vacation just in case it happens again.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am so sorry to hear about Diana's leg! I hope she makes a speedy recovery and enjoys her diving on St. John.

You were really smart to have DAN insurance. Everyone that dives should have it. It is not that expensive and it can literally be a lifesaver.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

So sorry Jim. I hope Diana's recovery is speedy so she is ready to enjoy her time on St. John.
-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The Recovery Room just called and said the surgery is over and she is doing very well. I hope to see the MD soon. Now the hard part starts.

Thanks for all of your kind words and good wishes.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

texasmermaid

Post by texasmermaid »

Oh no - so sorry to hear about your wife's bone breaks. I've been to Bonaire 3 times and know that dive site - it is tricky as the steps are of varying sizes in addition to the rough transtion at the bottom that you mentioned. And with your gear and tank on it is especially difficult. And coming back up those steps after the dive is no piece of cake, it truly feels like 1,000 steps! I cannot imagine getting back up those stairs with two broken bones (assume someone else lugged her gear up)!

Thanks for sharing the info on Bonaire's healthcare facility, such as it is. I can't say I'm completely surprised, just disappointed. The island makes a fair living off of divers who come to see their beautiful reef. Would be nice if they had adequate facilities to care for folks who needed assistance while on island.

And it is great to know that DAN got you med-evaced home. We have always kept our DAN insurance up to date "just in case" but have not had to use it yet. It's good to know they are there for you when needed.

Will keep your wife in our thoughts and prayers as she goes through this surgery and rehab. Stay focused on your upcoming STJ dive trip and that should help get her through this.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Diana's break and your cancelled trip. I fell down stairs in the house about 6 years ago and had a really bad break. I now have screws in my leg, but my recovery went well. Physical Therapy will bo soooo important to get her ready to dive in 100 days!

I will be praying for a swift recovery!
Nicolle
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I'm SO sorry to hear about Diana and her leg. That must have been terrible. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery, so that she will be back in the water again soon.

Agree with the others, so good that you had the DAN insurance. I also have that. You never know what happens and it does cover other things than just diving accidents also.

I guess that shore diving is not always easy. Have mostly done boat dives, but I can imagine entry sometimes can be hard and it's easy to slip.

Take care of Diana when she comes home :)

Karin
toes in the sand

Re: Forumite Down

Post by toes in the sand »

jimg20 wrote: It’s amazing how many people travel with their own supply of Vicoden.
JIM
We do and you would be surprised how many times it has come in handy while traveling. Never for our own needs (thank goodness) but for friends and others who have had unfortunate pain or injury while traveling.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hey Jim! I am so very sorry to hear of Diana's injury. I am glad the surgery went well for her. I am sending lots of prayers and happy thoughts her way for a speedy recovery. Hang in there!
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

So sorry to hear of this. I am a clutz and am always fearful of an accident while on vacation. I too carry Vicoden or Percocet when traveling, you never know. Hope Diane has a speedy recovery and you make it back to Bonaire soon.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Oh no Jim! I am so sorry to hear about Diana's injury and your rip cancellation. I am glad she is already on the road to recovery- ya'll will be diving in STJ in no time, I just know it! Thoughts and prayers....