My experience with Caribbean Villas!

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

My experience with Caribbean Villas!

Post by NCSue »

First let me say that we have been fortunate enough to visit St. John 6 times now. I have loved each trip!

We were a group of 9 the first week and 11 the second week. Being so big the second week, we rented a second villa - just right around the corner from the first. This worked out PERFECTLY!

During our second week, one of our guests remained at the house every day. He had recently had surgery on a broken ankle. Most days he stayed in their bedroom - which was lower level, pool side. 1st - it was air conditioned!!! 2nd - he played on the computer or played xbox all day! One day during that week, gardeners visited. And I say VISITED - because they helped themselves to our house! After trying to get into his room (by jiggling the door handle) they helped themselves to the upstairs AND an Ipod! We discovered it was missing about 2 days later. We notified the rental company and I was PROMISED the Ipod would be replaced. We're waiting on restitution for that - I will keep you updated. Supposedly, coming from the landscaping company (which has since been fired, I was told).

Now the real fun begins! The house we had for both weeks (Virgin Seabreeze) LEAKED LIKE A MAD DOG every time it rained. I'm talking - one of the buildings had water all over the first floor - seeping into the bedroom! We could keep NOTHING on the floor in that pod.

Upon check out - apparently a red comforter had been placed on one of the twin beds. It had gotten wet (again - LEAKING!) ...the top of the comforter was dry so no one knew it was wet! It bled out onto the bedding. We now have a charge for $338 for ONE TWIN BED'S BEDDING! After going round and round with Caribbean Villas, we are paying the charge. I feel this was not an action we controlled - we had no idea the bedding was wet! OBVIOUSLY if it was - we would have NEVER placed it on the bed.

Just wanted to vent. My dollars are way too precious and there are way too many choices for properties and rental agencies. I know some may not agree with me - that's fine. Again - just wanted to vent. I know there have been other derogatory remarks about this company in the past. We used them before and never had issues. But we will never rent from them again.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Bummer :( . I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. That leaves a very bad taste in you mouth to be sure. I would sure be bummed out if I experienced even one of these issues but to have two is really aweful. Again, sorry you had to go through what you did and I can certainly understand why you won't be renting through them again.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

And, are they going to pay you for what their gardeners stole from you??? Probably not. I even doubt that the gardeners will remain fired for very long. Are they going to reimburse you for the discomfort of the leaks?
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Oh I'm sure they have good intentions of paying for my Ipod. We'll see on that one! And I think you're right - they won't stay fired for very long!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That stinks about the bedding charge! Did you explain about the flooding? I have rented two different houses that flooded during heavy rains, and I certainly was not held responsible for the resulting damage in either case.

Plus, $338 for twin bedding? That seems like a lot of money for a set of sheets and a blanket or two, unless it was high end stuff (which it almost never is!).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Bummer NCSue, not sure I would stay very cool and calm about the situation. In fact, I think what I would have done is tell the company that I will send a complete set of replacement bedding that you will purchase at home, WHEN they send your replacement iPod, and make restitution for the other damage from the flooding.

Vent away......at least you'll feel somewhat better.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I am sure that the villa management companies dread it when I come to visit, but I am quick to call them if anything goes wrong with the house. Why? Because I don't want to get charged for something when I leave because I was too "polite" to say something. I learned that the hard way in an apartment once. Had I stayed in a villa that leaked like that I probably would've have stayed there, but I would've called and told them that it was going on. That way, when they tried to charge me for the wet bed, I would've said "Oh don't you remember, I told you that room leaked."

I wouldn't hold my breath on that iPod, if I were you.

I already refuse to rent from them because of that 5% service fee they charge to do things all the other villa management companies manage to do without adding an extra charge. Not to mention that this is just one more CV horror story... I don't even look at their site when I plan my trips.

Sorry all this happened to you.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

How can they expect you to pay for water damage when the roof leaked? Thats crazy, I would FLAT refuse to pay for the leaking roof causing problems. Good Luck with the IPod thing...but I too wouldnt hold my breath..We have always hesitated to rent from them because of the 5% as well...Makes me glad now we passed them by and kept looking...
[/url]
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Lets get a little more specific. Which company are we talking about here?

www.caribbeanvillas.com

OR

www.caribbeanvilla.com
Bryan
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

BRY1105 wrote:Lets get a little more specific. Which company are we talking about here?

www.caribbeanvillas.com

OR

www.caribbeanvilla.com
The second one, www.caribbeanvilla.com.

Sorry for not clarifying. I didn't realize there were two different companies.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

A couple weeks ago I stayed at Fun & Contentment through them and everything was great. They may have sub-contracted it out or something because Nancy from LoveCityVillas greeted us and showed us to the villa.
Bryan
NCSue

update

Post by NCSue »

Well, seems now CV is waiving the bedding charge (which I questioned at almost $400 a TWIN BED - it was Lily!) This never came up until I told them I was going to post on this forum. The response to that......I think I've been banned from both St. Thomas and St. John!!! She let me know that ...... "I am also a member to local accommodation councils on St. John and St. Thomas and we all share experiences with each other" How sad...I apparently can't come back!!! But how will I go on without the BEACH BAR???

Yes - I did share the flooding story! I told them they were extremely lucky no one slipped and seriously hurt themselves!!!

So - as of now - I am sort of pleased. I will be ELATED when I get a check for my Ipod (which SAMS was wonderful enough to supply me a copy of my receipt from Nov 08!). Again, thanks for letting me vent. And if you've had good experiences with CV - then congratulations and by all means continue to use them.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

I still say NO CV 4 ME!
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
djmom

Post by djmom »

I'm sure there are plenty of owners that would be happy to rent to you.

What a difference customer service makes. Think about Canon's reaction to my broken camera vs. this situation.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Knolmom

CV

Post by Knolmom »

Anthony, Anthony where are you? Are you at all familiar with the "local accommodation council" on STT/STJ?
Can we really be "blackballed" for sharing our experiences on this forum? I certainly hope not. A very bad omen if this is true.
I realize that Beverly Nickolson must have her hands full with the adverse event on STT, but perhaps someone could related this "insinuated" blackballing to her.