whats it like christmas week?

Travel discussion for St. John
nancyg

whats it like christmas week?

Post by nancyg »

My husband just found out he is off the week of christmas. So of course I think, I want to go to st john. I checked airfare and its not too bad from 12-20 to 12-26. But what is it like on the island that week? Weather, crowds, will we have trouble getting a rental vehicle? RIght now this is just a dream, but I hope we can make it work.

Nancy
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

oooo! Start now! I would say that the hardest thing would be a car rental. There are still villas that are open, just start asking the major villa companies what they have open (make a generic email that you can just copy paste and send to them all). You posted here, so a few emails shouldn't be a problem, right? Christmas can be busy...but it's a great time of year to be here.
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

My husband (boyfriend...got engaged on island last Christmas) and I and our adult children and mates spent last Christmas at Acqua Blu. We were surprised with how uncrowded the island was during the Chrismas holiday. We didn't have a problem with two vehicle rentals or crowds at the beaches or any restraurant. Go enjoy!!!! If you are looking for a great place to stay check out Acqua Blu....Loved it!
BreakawayBarb

St. John at Christmas

Post by BreakawayBarb »

My hubby and I got married on St. John nearly 12 years ago (see the lapsed ticker...it was counting down our last visit!)...Christmas Eve. It was magical. I will never, ever forget getting off of the ferry and being serenaded by the local choir singing "Santa's looking for a Wife" in the park gazebo across from the ferry.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

We have been there over Christmas and didn't find it to be busy. I have a couple of trip reports. We loved being there. We have only travelled over holidays and never felt it was too busy at all. There is always a little piece of quite to be found.

The only place that surprised due to being busy was Waterlemon. We weren't able to score a spot on the sand (all taken). No worries, we just walked around and set up a little camp and got in the water.

When you look into villas you might consider going without air--it isn't a problem, IMO in December.

How did you score reasonable flights?? That is normally the worse time to get tickets.

GG