NYC restaurant recommendations, please!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

NYC restaurant recommendations, please!

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I are going to NYC in a couple of weeks, mostly to do the museums, and I am trying to think of some new places to eat. We always seem to end up at the same places. I know a bunch of you live near NYC--does anybody have current favorites that they want to share with me?

We are staying at the W Times Squre but will travel pretty much anywhere if the food is good. No Chinatown (John hates it, sigh), no sushi (we have a big deal birthday sushi meal coming up soon after this trip), and Per Se is not in the budget this time :wink:

Thank you! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

we never go to NY without having a lunch at Lupa .. we always sit at the bar and have the most wonderful food and wine... never ever disappointed.

it's on Thompson Street

http://www.luparestaurant.com/
loria

Post by loria »

maybe do lunch at bouley or try daniel boluds new place in the bowery (dbgb)
--i just got a great review from the times --have you tried spice market?
Marea is also quite good (seafood) and I am a sucker for gramercy tavern.
if you could get out of the city (and can get a resevation) i HIGHLY recommend BLue hill at stone barns--this is without a doubt the BEST meal i have EVER eaten--
if you want pizza go to midwood to dafaro's or if midwood is too far go to grimaldis (up the road from the river cafe in brooklyn--sot of under the bridge)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Embrace the Cheesiness factor and go to Little Italy. Always used to work for us.

I was always a fan of the Estoril Sol. It's on 29th and 8th near the Garden. Little almost hole in the wall place serving Portugese food. It's not fancy, but I remember the mussels fondly. My father and I used to go once a year between sessions of the Big East Tournament. The Mrs also remembers it very fondly.

Then there's Carmine's Seafood Restaurant. Not that Carmine's. This is a real small place down near the seaport. http://carminesattheseaport.com/. Nothing fancy about this place and we found it one night by accident. Tiny place, good food.

We always preferred the more off the beaten path places when we'd go to the city to eat. there are just so many of those out there serving wonderful food
Pat

Post by Pat »

My husband and I are in NYC several times a year
Last weekend we spent the day in the LES (lower east side) and went to the Tenement Museum, Katz's deli, and Russ and Daughters. I highly recommend you spend some time on the website Chowhound.com, and read all
the messages under the Manhattan boards. These are
people who don't mess around when it comes to food and NYC. One gentlemen in particular, RGR, has a complete itinerary for a walking food tour of LES.
With that in mind, I am going on a food tour of Greenwich Village next week. My husband has been to Eleven Madison Park several times on business and recommends it. Enjoy!! :D :D
loria

Post by loria »

i second 11 madison park as well--

and don't forget that Friday from 4 pm on MOMA is FREE--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I was going to send you to Chowhounds myself.
RGR contributes to my local board and I believe is a woman. Not that it matters. He/she has a lot of good info.
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We enjoyed a meal here

http://www.ayzanyc.com/

wine and chocolate bar!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I've heard good things about Bacaro on Division Street. Its supposed to be authentic food from The Veneto. Ive not been but its on the list.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Please, please, no matter where you end up, could you post a detailed TR? As you know, NYC is on my short list of places to go before, you know...the end!

Have a wonderful time. I hope you have great (relatively speaking) weather.

(I'm so envious!)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Bobby Flay's restaurants Bar Americain (midtown) or Mesa Grill (near Soho?) are good if you want to change things up with some tasty Southwest cooking.
There is an Italian place near midtown we like but the food might not compare well to some of the places you go to in the North End up in Boston, so I'll hold off on that one.

Are you going to do the Guggenheim? Ashamed to say I’ve never been.
Also stop by the International Center of Photography at 6th and 43rd to to see what exhibits they might have going.
The Rock n Roll HOF has a new Annex location in Soho with an interesting "John Lennon in NYC" exhibit if that floats your boat.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Here are some of my favorites:
Le Pain Quotidien; many locales around the city (www.lepainquotiden.com)

Katz's Deli: 205 E. Houston st. (corner of Ludlow)

City Bakery: 3 W. 18th st. (between 5th & 6th ave.) Yummy hot chocolate

Rice to Riches: 37 Spring st. Yummy rice pudding

Da Ciro: 229 Lexington (between 33 & 34th) Try the focaccia robiola.

Cornelia Street Cafe': 29 Cornelia st. (www.corneliastreetcafe.com)

Zoe: 90 Prince st. (between Broadway and Mercer, SoHo)

5 Napkin Burger: corner of 45th @ 9th

Taim: 222 Waverly Place @ 7th

Milk and Cookies Bakery: 19 Commerce st. Not to be missed cookies!

Have fun.

Jamestown
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

We always like Becco, Lidia Bastianich's place on W. 46th St. Good food, great value.

Also, if you happen to do the Met, we love hanging out for cocktails on the 2nd floor overlooking the Great Hall. They have live classical music on Fridays and Saturdays 4-8. Have fun!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Chowhound. Never heard of the site but it's now bookmarked. It looks fabulous.
~Brenda~
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

If you're looking for a quick/easy lunch in between activities, some of the food carts are really good. Check out the Vendy awards to see who they recommend:
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/2009-vendy ... id=8695122

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/nyreg ... .html?_r=1