I know this has been asked 1000 times...shipping a box ahead

Travel discussion for St. John
jectac

I know this has been asked 1000 times...shipping a box ahead

Post by jectac »

I apologize for being repetative, but I used the search option and am having a hard time finding the info I am looking for.

We are a family of 6 and are staying at the Westin for 2 weeks and are considering shipping a box of some food items in advance and I was wondering the following:

For those who have done it, have you found it to be worth it?

Where do you send it? Connections or would directly to the Westin be best?

How much in advance do you mail it? We are coming from Pittsburgh, PA.

And lastly, I remember reading somewhere that there is some type of snaffu with the address. Meaning, having it typed as opposed to hand written? Am I crazy for remembering this?

Any suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Once again I am sorry if this an old and beaten question.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

In planning for our first trip to STJ this summer, here is what I have found:
Ship to Connections by USPS Priority Mail about 2 weeks prior to arrival.
It's best to print you shipping labels off of the USPS website, www.usps.com. If you address it yourself, make sure that it is all in CAPS and and there is no punctuation (periods or commas).
I hope this helps!
Have a great trip!
Jo
baglab

Post by baglab »

We shipped 3 large boxes to STJ for our April trip. Big reason -- kids have allergies to peanuts, skin lotions, etc. -- and we wanted to make sure they had their snacks, sunscreeen, bug stuff, etc. Before I put my shopping list together, I did check out the online grocery prices for the STJ shops ... and then shopped accordingly ... mostly Walmart, Kmart and Target. I shipped via USPS, by logging on, enrolling (no charge) and printing off their labels ... worked like a charm ... I did not pay until I took the boxes to the post office. I ended up spending $140-160 on postage ... I bought the boxes at Staples. One thing I learned on this forum was to tape box all over ... again, worked very well ... only one box of pasta opened up on the trip. We shipped to Connections, c/o our villa management company ... and the company delivered it to our villa, so we had it right away (we arrived on a Sunday when Connections was closed).
Also do delivery confirmation ... kind of weird but I only got confirmation via email for 1 box ... freaked me out but received confirmation from villa company. From NW CT to STJ took approximately 48 hrs. ... I had planned for 2 weeks because Easter holiday was in the mix. Boxes were really beat up on their trip but everything inside was good. BTW place liquid items (sunscreeen, bug stuff, jellies, etc.) inside multiple baggies ... no leakage and you have baggies when you get there. I also bought plastic boxes/bottles when I could so there wouldn't be any glass to break. I also packed stuff inside beach bags, small cooler bags, etc. so that we didn't have to bring those items in our luggage. I even packed stuff inside one duffel type bag which I checked on return trip ... w/souvenirs and the bags. Also, pack tightly to avoid damage ... I even shoved some clothes in the box to make sure everything fit tightly.
Taking into account the cost of postage, vs. the cost of these items on island, we probably saved $40-50+ for each of 9 people ... well worth it for my family. Plus we didn't have to worry about a big grocery shop upon arrival, and kids were satisfied that they had what they wanted when they wanted it. And lastly, no epi-pen/safety issues!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I really like shipping the spray sunscreen, the soft side meat packs to make lunches, and snorkel equipment(we use the short fins). Dry goods tortilla wraps, and small plastic containers with condements are good too. Lots of plastic bags!!! Do plan as much as possible to keep from shipping too much. If you are shipping smaller amounts, consider flat rate boxes. If you are at the Weston, I am sure you will not need shampoo and conditioner, and cookable foods. We worked with connections last time and thought they did well for us. Follow their instructions carefully! :wink:
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

While preparing the box I questioned whether it was worth it. Once traveling with just carry-on, it was well worth it. No worries about checked luggage arriving. Did the cap label thing and the box arrived at Connections in a little over two days from Baltimore.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I have not found food (esp. heavy stuff) worth shipping ahead but I do often ship for convenience and to be sure I have what I want/need for the kids. Both of my kids have particularly sensitive skin so sunscreen, bugspray, etc has to be specific.

Anyway. I have had great luck with USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think that shipping large amounts of food is just cost prohibitive.

I send 2 priority mail boxes. I used my own box once and got burned with the cost. The flat rate box is the best deal in my book. Saving $2 on snacks but paying $5 to ship it is just silly, in my book.

One box I fill with toiletries. The other I fill with my favorite coffee, nuts, granola bars, etc.