Off topic- Hawaii forums?

Travel discussion for St. John
SarahD

Off topic- Hawaii forums?

Post by SarahD »

Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Does anyone here know of a good Hawaii travel forum? I'm starting to plan a 2008 (20th anniv) trip to Maui and can't seem find anything like this forum for Hawaii (this forum really IS a treasure!).

And yes, we are going to Maui instead of my beloved St. John because my husband wants something different. I had even gone so far as to try and rent BongoBongo over 1-1/2 yrs out! Am I addicted or what? :lol: :shock:

It is working out pretty well though, since we'll have access to a timeshare unit for this trip, making it much more affordable. And I am looking forward to it.

Any help in finding forum for Hawaii is much appreciated. Thanks!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I just did a quick google search. This one looks pretty active
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2 ... awaii.html
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Hmm, I did a google search and this didn't come up (or I overlooked it).

Thanks, it looks good!!!
sarah
sitter

Post by sitter »

Yea Sarah...I've been looking to...just can't seem to find ane forum as good as this one! I found a couple...but not real active ones.
We leave in end of March for Hawaii. Staying on Maui for 3 days outta the 12 days we will be there. Stayed on Maui 2yrs. ago for 8 days....where are you staying?
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Hi Sitter, all I know at this point is that it's the west side of Maui.

As I go along with the planning, would you mind if I PM'ed you with a question or two? This will be our first trip there! Thanks!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi Sarah,

I found www.fodors.com very helpful planning my last Hawaiian trip (2000).

janet
janet
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Thanks Janet! I'll check it out! :)
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

SarahD, it looks like people have helped you figure it out already, but tripadvisor has one of the best Maui forums. I was there in June 2006 (stayed at Sheraton Ka'anapali and Four Seasons Wailea). We had a really nice time. Don't miss the day trip to Lanai. They have one of the most spectacular beaches I've ever seen. I used the tripadvisor forums before I went and received lots of helpful info.

Mama's Fish House - great place, BTW. And it IS worth the drive.
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Thanks for the info on Lanai and Mama's Fish House! The tripadvisor forum is pretty good, but it sure isn't the USVI forum. :wink:

>>SarahD, it looks like people have helped you figure it out already, but tripadvisor has one of the best Maui forums. I was there in June 2006 (stayed at Sheraton Ka'anapali and Four Seasons Wailea). We had a really nice time. Don't miss the day trip to Lanai. They have one of the most spectacular beaches I've ever seen. I used the tripadvisor forums before I went and received lots of helpful info.

Mama's Fish House - great place, BTW. And it IS worth the drive. <<<
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I was actually going to ask this question because we are probably going to go to Hawaii in 2008. I have never been there so I was going to look for forums too. I would like to find a quiet place that is kind of like STJ. I am not into crowded beaches. I would also like to visit more than on island. Is it OK if I PM some of you?
I'll let you know if I find a good forum.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I was trying to find the on-line info I used for our trip 3 years ago but couldn't. I'll post later if I come across it. In the mean time, here a a few suggestions/things to research that we really enjoyed.

Drive to Hana/Seven Sacred Pools (DO NOT JUMP OFF CLIFFS!) If you are prone to car sickness at all-be prepared. I've never been so green in my life as during the 3-4 hours driving back down!
Catamaran out Snorkel the Molokini Crater & Turtle Town-A Must!
Have lunch and shopping in Lahaina
Snorkel the reserve (at the end of the road before you get to the lava fields (the Parrot fish boggled my mind!)
Snorkel Mile Marker 14 (if you dare-kinda scary)
Luau at Renaissance Wailea-The resort loved it!
Go to Kaanapali and Kapalua?
Sunrise over Hauleakulah (sp?)
Champagne Brunch at the Maui Prince

Have fun!!!
Mark in STL

Post by Mark in STL »

On the west side of Maui, our favorite snorkeling spots were Honolua Bay, Black Rock at Kaanapali beach, and Kapalua Bay.

Here is a link to a pretty good site describing the best shore diving and snorkeling spots on Maui.

Regarding Mile Marker 14, the spot is technically named Olowalu, and we stayed away because of the stories of sharks and cloudy water.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

SarahD wrote:Thanks for the info on Lanai and Mama's Fish House! The tripadvisor forum is pretty good, but it sure isn't the USVI forum. :wink:
TripAdvisor forums - the bane of the independent website owner's existence... :(
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

Sorry Anthony! There needs to be a forum like this for everywhere I want to go! :wink:

Also, thanks to all of you that gave me the helpful info. It's much appreciated! Even if we did have to mention the evil, schmarmy, wicked, ugly and horrible tripadvisor! :twisted: :)

SarahD
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

SarahD:

I highly recommend the tripadvisor forum; from the Hawaii forum, narrow it down to Maui using the drop-down box. We had our first trip to Maui last December/early January, and I used that forum extensively. Very helpful! Incidently, it was from that forum that I first started thinking about going to St. John (it was mentioned as an alternative to Maui) and it eventually led me to this forum.

Books that helped me were Maui Trailblazer and Maui Revealed. If you want to know great hiking and snorkel spots, these are very handy!

You will LOVE Maui!