My ZoZo's review

Travel discussion for St. John
Betty

My ZoZo's review

Post by Betty »

I have submitted my review to the dining section but thought I would post in here because so many of you were asking what happened.

This was a highly anticipated dining event and I was sorely disappointed. We had booked the bar seating which is upstairs and has lovely views. Atmosphere is fabulous, and you can't find fault with it.

I ordered 2 appetizers for my meal because they sounded so good from the menu. I had the duck confit sping rolls to start, which were bland. For my second appetizer served with everone's entree I had ordered the Clams, and they were like rubber, they came with garlic toast that was as hard as a brick and hardly any sauce that the clams were cooked in. I didn't have enough sauce to even dip the "toast" to try and soften it up. My sister in law had the Mahi Mahi, it was a large moist portion and she shared it with me. It was good but not to the calibre that I expected from this highly praised restaurant. The men ordered the calimari appetizer. The calamari was very good, light and crispy but it came with a bland sauce that did not stand out. The men both ordered the Diver scallops for their entree and my husband could not even finish them, he disliked them so. My husband rarely leaves a morsel on his plate so that tells you something. We were so disappointed we did not order desert. I think we ordered at least one desert to share at every restaurant that we ate at the entire week. Thats my review that I report with great sadness.
mia

Post by mia »

Betty,
Thanks for your honest review....I am sorry you had a less than desirable meal at ZoZo's. It's such a bummer when you are expecting a great dining experience and it turns out to be not at all what you expected it to be :( I think we may cross it off of our list for next week; it will open up a slot for us to try a new restaurant.
I am looking forward to the next installment of your trip report.....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Sorry, you had a bad experience. We've eaten there quite often and have never had a bad meal. Love the calamari appetizer. Usually get the osso bucco. I've had the scallops also and have enjoyed them.

Will be going there again a couple of time in June/July
jmarstonpa

zozo's has always been great for us!

Post by jmarstonpa »

Sorry your experience was disappointing; I have had just the opposite experiences at ZoZo's through the last five years and what I love about it is the consistency. I can honestly say I have not had anything but great meals there, and we are pretty picky.. (Sometimes too much food....but THAT is another story!) I am especially surprised by your account of the clams and the calamari. The calamari is an old standby and when we had it in Jan., with the terrific garlic aoili, it was as good as ever... Tender, succulent. Better stop thinking about it, an hour to dinner! The clams were a new dish and my husband is from Maine and fancies himself a seafood maven. He raved about them. The atmosphere is drop dead gorgeous, but to have that AND great food. Well, just made my reservation for next week. I guess the lesson is; well, I am not sure what it is! There have been some restaurants on St John that we have gone to over the years that really vary from year to year, because the chef changes. (Eg. Aaron Willis is in Asolare's kitchen now; yummy seafood.) But ZoZo's is ALWAYS good. (at least in my experience.
Jeri
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Betty - sorry you did not enjoy Zozo's.

Did you send anything back? If something is not seasoned the way I like it, I do not send it back - I just chalk it up to everyone having a different perspective on what tastes good - BUT, when food is "hard as a brick" or "like rubber" - it is simply not prepared correctly - and I would certainly send it back - no ifs, ands or buts. :wink:

It is very frustrating when something you are excited and have great expectations about, is a flop :cry:
Peace,

Lisa
Betty

Post by Betty »

JM ... it may have just been an off night, the calamari was excellent light and crispy, the garlic aoili tasted like mayonaise, no garlic flavor at all.
I live on Casco Bay in Maine for 3 1/2 months every summer. These clams were a different variety than the long necks we get, they were over cooked and rubbery. The garlic toast that came with the clams was so hard I was afraid to even bite into as I didn't want to damage my dental work on vacation. My sister in laws Mahi Mahi was very good and she enjoyed it. I had huge expectations for this restaurant, I felt bad to write a negative review. I have a friend who is going to St John Feb. 24 and she is going to try the restaurant, she is a big foodie too, I will have her write a review when she is back.

If you read my review on Ocean Grill, I loved it, but Charlie the new food critic on http://www.on-stjohn.com/ panned it, I guess it is just subjective/personal preference.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Betty - you shouldn't feel bad writing a bad review - it was honest!

All restaurants can have off days - but I think it is important that patrons let management know if there are problems or issues- so, they will be able to address them - and hopefully, correct them.
Peace,

Lisa
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

WAY, WAY back, when Ellingtons first became ZoZos, Pete and I went there. We were horribly displeased. So much so that we have never even considered going back. And, we are not all that picky. It was, truly, one of our worst nights on island. That was years ago but, the point here is that when one REALLY bad experience takes place, it takes a heck of a lot to get someone to go back. We never will.

Anyway, thank you for your honest review. It could have been an "off" night for sure but, dang, being in the service industry myself, you simply cannot afford to have people leave with such a "bad taste" in their mouths.

Marcia (Is it April yet?)
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Marcia, and I agree with your comment about the service industry.

What I like to do is give the business a chance. By that I mean, if I have a problem with the meal I mention it to the server and see how they resolve the situation.

That's why I always believe that if you're in a restaurant and there is something not right it has to be mentioned.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I always enjoyed Fish Trap in the past when Aaron Willis was cooking. Do I understand he is cooking at Asolare now?
---Jim
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Believe me, we gave the restaurant every opportunity to make our experience better. Seriously, we are not obnoxious people but, that night really was our worst night ever on the island in the years and years we've been there.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I'm a little surprised by the negative review, as Zozos was one of our best meals. I do understand however that certain places just have bad nights. I also know that it can be a bit uncomfortable to give a negative review to an audience that you know loves a certain place.

I have always read rave reviews on this forum about Uncle Joes BBQ. Well, my wife & I thought it was average at best, and that was being generous. I really appreciate an honest review, thank you for taking the time to post your experience.
jmarstonpa

Changing Chefs

Post by jmarstonpa »

In answer to Iowa guy, yes-- Aaron Willis is at Asolare now and we had some terrific Mahi Mahi that I thought had just his old touch.
Also, re Joe's -- they guy who used to cook the ribs (I always thought he was Joe, but it turns out he was Candy) has now opened his own place which is a truck just past the old Marina Market and before you hit the Marketplace complet (on the left). It is called (not surprisingly) "Candy's Place" and we tried the ribs in Dec. and they were terrific!
Hope this helps.
Jeri
madelon

Changing Chefs

Post by madelon »

Just to get everyone up to date, Aaron Willis is not at Asolare anymore. He took a job in St. Thomas with Yachthaven Grande and will be the chef at Grand Cru.