Red Hook Nightmare

Travel discussion for St. John
traveler22

Red Hook Nightmare

Post by traveler22 »

Hi
I just got back on Saturday and had to tell this story before I write my trip report because it is more about St. Thomas but involves getting to St. John. I arrived at Red hook and the porters started grabbing peoples bags as usual as they were empitied from the taxis and when people started asking how much the reply was "$5 a bag", as people started to grab their bags back ,the porter got very disrespectful with his comments. We purchased our tickets for the ferry and were asked how many bags because there is now a $2 a bags fee for the ferry (something new since my last trip). As we were waiting for the ferry the next taxi arrived and four elderly people got out and one was in a wheel chair the same porter grabbed the bags and when the woman asked how much #@%* said she didn't want porter service he dumped her bags on the ground in front of her,she looked in shock and offer the porter $5 for his TROUBLE (are you kidding me)Now another thing I noticed, if you give your luggage to the porter it wasn't tagged ($2). So what is the deal here. I am not a cheap person and I only bring one bag with me (light packer) This also didn't happen to me but I was discussed as I watched what was going on as I waited for the ferry. We didn't see any of this going on in Cruz bay but the same porter has been there for as long as I can remember. If any of the locals (St. john Ruth, Pia) can comment it would be appreciated or maybe the businesses of St. John can complain about this treatment of visitor coming to the island.
Has any one else who has recently visited noticed a problem.
Scott
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Just a quick question. Why is this "More about St. Thomas"? Just because the guy works there? Or is it really about the Ferry Service Employee(s). If you run into a rude employee at the airport, stateside, is it More about the United States? I just don't get it.
BOB
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think he meant this is more about the STT end of the ferry process, as he said towards the end that he did not experience these problems getting on the ferry in St. John.

It would be similar to saying that the airport employees in Baltimore were rude but the employees in Orlando were not.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Actually BobC, I read it the same as you did. I would have thought that a more suitable comment might have been "what this says about the porters at the Red Hook Ferry".

I'm not trying to justify what went on as being proper, but we've never had a problem by just saying "no". Unfortunately, when you're trying to make a couple of dollars, this aggressiveness is what is going to happen.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Have not ever taken the ferry to or from St. John (we were on the Caneel ferry last time) so I don't get exactly the story here. Is it that you pay $2 per bag for putting your luggage on the ferry but porters are charging $5 per bag on top of that for assisting you?
traveler22

Red Hook Nightmare

Post by traveler22 »

Bobcside,
The one porter on the Cruz Bay side has been there for as long as I can rememder (I been going to St. John since the early 90's) and is always friendly and polite whether you use him or not. It just seemed very confusing for alot of people, especially those who seem like 1st timers. I have travel to St. John at least 10 times and have never run into this ,even when it was just a little hut that was sitting at the beginning of the dock on both sides. The porter on the Cruz Bay side ASKED if you wanted a porter. The one in Red Hook just grabbed peoples luggage as the people paid the taxi driver and then got mad if they didn't. I was early for the ferry and watch this happen over and over for about 1/2 hour. I have both use and not used the porter service ,depending on how much luggage I/we had and never expierenced anything like this before whether in the Virgin Islands, the Mainland US or the many other caribbean islands I have visited and found it to be diagraceful. He also grabbed a couple w/ two small children stuff and took it to the gated area and when the guy asked him how much the porter said "give me what you think is fair" the guy handed him $6 for 2 bags , a stroller and pota-crib and the porter dropped it right there and said "this is as far as I'm taking then" so we help the guy carry his stuff to the ferry anyway. I didn't see anything like this happen in Cruz Bay so I was trying to be fair to the porter there.
Scott
traveler22

Red Hook Nightmare

Post by traveler22 »

Marybeth,
Yes, to answer your question $5pp ferry ticket, $2 per bag and the porter was trying to get $5 per bag to take the luggage to the ferry. I do not have any problem with the charges and they are building a very nice terminal in Red Hook, it was just the way it was all handled by the porter. As stated above a "no" usually works find but this guy was taking peoples luggage before they even asked for a porter and then getting mad if they didn't want one especially at his prices.
Scott
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I gotcha. Thanks for explaining.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

traveler,
I understand your concern/complaint. Had this situation arose infront of me I would have had to interject myself, at my own peril I might add. For sure not the wisest thing to do but that is just ME. That being said I do think you were throwing a shot at STT, maybe unintentionaly, so that is why I responded the way I did. This is a Ferry employee (if he is such) issuue and not either Island. I happen to love both islands so please try to understand where I am coming from. Nuf Said. I know the rest of your trip must have been most enjoyable and look forward to your trip report.
BOB
traveler22

Red Hook Nightmare

Post by traveler22 »

Bobcside
I was not taking a shot at St.Thomas but merely telling my experience at Red hook and did not want it to reflect on the porter in Cruz Bay or the whole ferry system. I returned that night to find friends on St. Thomas and watch my Eagles loss at the Caribbean Saloon in Red Hook. Yes, I had another great trip and will be posting a trip report soon.
Scott
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Does anyone really know for sure if these 'porters' are employed by the ferry company or are they free lancing? I've always wondered about that myself. It doesn't seem right that you should have to be twice in the space of just a few feet for the handling of your bags.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

OK folks, misleading wording and misunderstanding aside (please don't argue semantics here...it's been so nice without the nitpickiness), I've also experienced these aggressive-type services on STT nut more with the taxis.

traveler22 is just outlining his/her experience with porters on the Red Hook ferry so other can avoid the same situation.

I think it's a great warning for visitors who've not taken the Red Hook ferry before. People should know that they need to say "no" even if they weren't asked in the first place. It's something we learned after our first visit.
madelon

Porters at Red Hook

Post by madelon »

The porters are freelancers and are allowed to be there by the VI Port Authority. If you witness this behavior or experience it you should report this person to the Port Authority. Grabbing people's luggage without their consent is not allowed at any of the ports in the Virgin Islands.
Genral

Post by Genral »

Patty and I only take carry-ons, and we make sure to have bags in-hand (or between feet) before paying the taxi driver. That way, the porter can't just take them away without asking. Maybe we're cheap, but to pay $5 for him to carry a bag 30 feet that we've already shlepped around all day - nope, sorry! I'd much rather give the $$$ to the person taking us to the villa. Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Lysac,
Let me try and say this as nicely as possible as I do not want nor do I mean to offend anyone however I must say what may seem like nitpicking to you may well be a ligitimate concern to someone else. I asked Scott to explain what he was trying to say and I thought he did that quite nicely. If I were you and might I suggest that if you dislike what some one is saying merely because they are saying it then Don't Read the thread. This forum is a great thing enjoyed by many people some of whom share the same likes and disilkes and others who don't. I understand and appreciate this fact and it is what gives this forum life. I for one will continue to ask questions as I see fit and discuss issues that may or may not seem worthy to some. End of Discussion on my part.
Thanks again to Scott for his post as I will be using the Red Hook ferry to STJ next week and will be watching for this type of behavior.
BOB