Trip Report 6/22 - 6/28

Travel discussion for St. John
chrisn

Re: Trip Report 6/22 - 6/28

Post by chrisn »

gavinman wrote: A group of three couples sits by us. We are in the corner near the street. All of the sudden a Suzuki sidekick stops in the street and a local man, who we later learn is “Buster”, gets out and starts screaming about racist MFers. We figure out he is yelling at the group next to us. Buster keeps screaming “You racist MFers, I’ll kill you.” Buster then produces a knife from his back pocket and is waving it around screaming, “I’ll kill you, you racist MFers.” It’s a good sized knife. The guys in the group next to us keep giving Buster the evil eye and smirking at him. We hear one of the guys say they got into it with Buster last night at a bar and Buster pulled a knife on them there. The group was obviously tourists, they looked to be in there late 40s. One of the guys wants to take a picture of Buster waving his knife but the waitress says that will make him madder. Buster then runs up the fence by the front of the restaurant and screams at the guys, “Come on MFers, I’ll kill you.” I’m glad Buster is only mad at them. We are eating desert, this goes on for about 10 or 15 minutes, then Buster gets in his car and it looks like he is getting ready to leave, but wait he gets back out and opens his hood. Now Buster has a gun. Half the restaurant runs into the back kitchen. I keep eating my cheesecake, mmmm cheesecake. Buster has a problem with the guys next to us not me, I hope he has good aim. I decide maybe I should seek cover too. Buster finally leaves. We pay and decide to leave too. A family is quickly departing and another family’s kid is crying. That’s it for excitement.
OMG! I mean, it's not funny but it's funny how you interpreted it! Props!
BabaAus

Post by BabaAus »

I dunno. It must be hard to have to work two or three jobs just to maintain a more or less hand-to-mouth life in the land where you were born AND be surrounded by and face-to-face with such extreme wealth that you KNOW you'll never get close to having.

The only unpleasant encounters we've ever had on-island have been with obnoxious tourists and non-residents who act like they're better than the rest of us. We count the local folks that we've met and befriended as some of the finest people on the planet.

I think if more visitors to St. John behaved more like the the "guests" that they seem to forget that they are, they might have more compassion and respect for those peoples' home that they are so fortunate to have the opportunity to share and enjoy.

Greed is so ugly.
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

MERCY! What an experience! I am glad you brought up the "getting it" ....I have never been to STJ and I am fairly new to the forum. I have my own thoughts about what "getting it" must mean- but would some kind soul explain what you are meaning by the phrase "getting it " ? I hesitate asking, but am curious.
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

:D You might want to try Antigua. Beautiful beaches plus a lot of choices of all-inclusive resorts! All the food we tried at local rest. was great!

Good Luck!
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

BeAsUR wrote:MERCY! What an experience! I am glad you brought up the "getting it" ....I have never been to STJ and I am fairly new to the forum. I have my own thoughts about what "getting it" must mean- but would some kind soul explain what you are meaning by the phrase "getting it " ? I hesitate asking, but am curious.
When forumites say they "get it," it means that they "get" St. John...clear as mud? :D

I guess a better way to describe it is to say that many of us have fallen in love with St. John. We "get" why St. John is so great. For me, it is the beaches that make STJ one of my favorite places in the world. Others like it for the island vibe or a myriad or combination of other reasons. Many of us are repeat visitors to STJ because we love it so much...we "get it" and want to keep returning. I have never gone anywhere else on vacation that I’d want to be going back to constantly.

Get it? :lol: :D :wink:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Getting it: When a chicken runs across your feet at a restaurant and you say, "Cool! Entertainment!"
Not Getting it: When a chicken runs across your feet at a restaurant and you say, "Gross. Where is the health inspector?"

Getting it: When it takes 25 minutes before someone brings you a menu and you don't even notice the time because you are mesmerized by the surf, the sun, and the breeze.
Not Getting it: When it takes 25 minutes before someone brings you a menu and you decide the service was poor, you complain loudly, and don't leave a tip.

Getting it: When all it takes to make you happy at the beach is a towel in the sand on the most beautiful beach on earth.
Not Getting it: When all it takes to make you happy at the beach is 1) a new beach chair that reclines and has a pivoting umbrella, 2) Poolside bar service, 3) All Inclusive Everything, 4) Free Jetskis, and 5) Iced towels brought to you on silver platters.

Getting it: After making a hairpin turn in a ratted out rental Jeep whose tires are so bald you slide backwards 10 feet for every 5 feet you go forward and saying at the end, "WOW! What a ride. Want to do it again??"
Not Getting it: After making that same turn, writing a scathing letter to the rental car company and swearing you'll never visit a place without a better road system again.

Getting it: Holding your nose while you pee at Skinny's.
Not Getting it: Holding IT until you get back to your villa so you don't feel you have to use hand sanitizer on your whole body.

Getting it: Seeing "Buster" at dinner and shrugging your shoulders while you keep eating.
Not Getting it: Seeing "Buster" at dinner and going home to write your Congressman.

Get it? :D
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Gosh Vicki, you win! :lol:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain