Camera updates -

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Camera updates -

Post by Anthony »

So what are the new, best cameras (waterproof hopefully) that you are using? We need to update the cameras we are offering from Amazon in the header. Please let me know the latest favorites - I need 3 or 4.
Thanks -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I bought the Olympus 790 for my husband from this forum and he is really enjoying it. Many of the posts on the 790 are positive.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Canon G9 with underwater housing - awesome camera!
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

No complaints about my Olympus 770!
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

love my Olympus 790 Waterproof. wonderful camera.
Tami
Image[/url]
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We haven't taken it out of the box yet, but the SeaLife Ecoshot that we just bought was highly recommended by the various dive shops we checked. :) At $200 plus 1G memory cards (less than $20 each) it looks like a good deal. 8) There is the Mini Reefmaster also. It goes for about $250. The difference, they tell me, is that Ecoshot is good to 75 feet and the Mini is good to 150 feet.

I'll let you know in about 60 days. :D :D

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Chet

Post by Chet »

PowerShot SD870 IS, with the waterproof case. It was a "present" for Mrs Random.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

I still like my Canon enclosure for my Canon SD410. You can access all of the controls easily and it stays dry.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Another vote for a Canon with the waterproof enclosure. I use the SD500 and love it.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

If you are starting new now, isn't it more expensive to get a camera with a separate enclosure compared to the waterproof ones? Just wondering -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

What's this 1030SW from Olympus?
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

Olympus Stylus 1030SW

Recent visitors flooded my 770sw and I just used my replacement 1030SW extensively over the weekend.

Seems a little more rugged and reassuringly sealed, easier to navigate with a little spin wheel instead of just the buttons. Nice size, highly recommended!
Eric on St John
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I just bought another canon SD 800 with the underwater housing for John to use on our upcoming trip because we both like to take pictures. Now we have the same gear and we are going to have photo smackdowns.

Anthony, yes, I think it probably is a little more money to get the seperate housing, but I think that the quality of the pictures from the Canons is good enough to make the extra expense worth it. As an example, the camera I just bought (from amazon.com) was $250, and the housing was $160.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lex

Post by Lex »

I fried my Canon SD 630 during our VG trip last fall (it doesn't take much water to do it). My plan to replace it was to get a newer SD version and a housing for it. The plan changed as I researched it. The cost of the housing surprised me (higher than I'd guessed). And the cost of underwater cameras surprised me (less than I'd thought). The Pentax Optio was really almost in the same range as the housing. I also was attracted to the idea of something less bulky rather than more bulky (the camera in the housing).

What I ended up doing was getting a SD800 for now. I hesitated buying the underwater camera because I have no immediate need for it. I'll wait to see what's on the market when the time comes. (It's pretty remarkable how frequently camera manufacturers put out new models).

I will be in the market for an underwater camera within the next several months, so I'm enjoying this discussion.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Eric on St John wrote:Olympus Stylus 1030SW

Recent visitors flooded my 770sw and I just used my replacement 1030SW extensively over the weekend.

Seems a little more rugged and reassuringly sealed, easier to navigate with a little spin wheel instead of just the buttons. Nice size, highly recommended!
Eric:

How is that new screen in strong light?