Pringles and Ting

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Pringles and Ting

Post by AquaGirl »

OK, this will sound silly to some, but others may appreciate it.
Last week, one day was cold, dark and rainy. We decided we needed a "taste of the islands", so we had some Pringles potato chips and Ting. The reason that Pringles are associated with the islands for us, is from a trip many years ago to Bonaire. It was our first snorkeling trip and the reefs were incredible and water crystal clear. We were hooked on snorkeling and diving forevermore after that. For some reason that we can't recall now, we had Pringles potato chips on our picnic lunches, even though we normally didn't eat them at home (maybe nothing else was available in the stores?). Now we always take Pringles on our picnics in the islands and enjoyed several picnics after long, wonderful snorkels on St John this past May.
So when we need an island fix, we munch on Pringles, drink Ting and talk about the good times on our trips. Next trip to STJ is April 2007. Seems so far away right now! I could use a trip report fix.
Coden

Post by Coden »

That is a sweet story, thank you for sharing it with us. :)

:idea: We'll have to pack Pringles with us for our picnics while on STJ, I'm sure they are the easiest to transport to the beach. Thanks for the heads-up!!!
Coden
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

B&J,

I JUST TODAY bought 2 packs of pringles for our trip to STJ this coming week!!! Like you we never ate them at home but we started packing them years ago. Those and peanut butter nabs can be a lifesaver when you arrive late at a remote location. They don't crush and the pringles stay fairly fresh in the can!

Too funny, I bet we're not the ONLY ones!! :lol:

OH, what is "Ting"??

Jan (akaCharlie)
Toes in the Sand: 7 days 8)
jmq

What is this Ting?

Post by jmq »

From jamaicadrinks.com…

“What is this ting ?"

"Ting, made from Jamaican grapefruit with no preservatives is the ultimate thirst quencher. It is a lightly carbonated citrus drink."

"This carbonated drink with the green and yellow label is the unofficial national soft drink of Jamaica. The drink is unstoppable on ice. It goes nice with the hard stuff, the universal deadly Sin Ting will set your teeth chattering."

SIN TING
Made with famous Caribbean rum. We accept no responsibility for your sins after sipping this "Ting"
1 1/2 oz Rum (aged or overproof)
4 oz Ting (or more to taste)
dash of bitters
stir, then add at least 4 chunks of ice ....nice!

"Ting - the Jamaican sunshine and cool breeze in a bottle.”

I’ve given this fav Ting based drink receipe we came up with in STJ many times here on this forum...

Equal parts Ting, cranberry juice, and Cruzan citrus flav rum over ice, squeeze & drop in lime slices, top with Cruzan dark and sprinkle of fresh nutmeg on top.
JMQ
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

There was a bottle of Ting in our fridge at Caneel and I enjoyed it with some of the rum from the bottle that Caneel gives you with their compliments! But I was never able to find it again on the island. :(
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I just got back from Bonaire and we had our share of Pringles while we were there. It's the only place we eat them. We call them Bonaire Gourmet Snack Food. It's true they serve them proudly and consider them special. I guess if you lived in a place where the humidity makes crispy things a rarity you'd think Pringles were special too.

I wish I could find Ting in Michigan. It's one of my favorite drinks when I'm in STJ too. Guess I'll have to wait for June of 2007 to enjoy this combo.

Thanks for bringing a smile and memories today ;-).