Carry on luggage only

Travel discussion for St. John
mrscaptainjay

Carry on luggage only

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Jay and I decided to pack lite and only take a carry on each to avoid the craziness at STT at departure. I think we'll be fine clothes wise, it's a short trip compared to our normal (no dive gear :( ) and besides shorts and bathing suites don't take up much room. :D But, I had forgotten about the 3 oz. rule for health & beauty aids. That could be a problem. That rule doesn't apply to aerosols or solids (deodorant) does it? Some items just don't come in 3 oz so I had to buy several empty 3 oz containers to transfer things into. Crazy!
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Hi MrsCJ,

Here's a page about it:

http://tinyurl.com/2nsqpm

cat
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

HI,

Keep in mind that all of your 3oz. containers must fit in a single quart-sized zip lock bag.

Such fun!
janet
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Thanks for the comments. I knew about the quart zip lock but was unsure if hair spray and deodorant and that kind of stuff had to also go in the bag. It sounds like aerosol does but not the deodorant if it's not gel. I also was unsure about disposable razor's but they're allowed, so that's good. With being limited, I know I'll end up forgetting something. :)
Pia

Post by Pia »

OK, I just had to laugh - a quote from the link given (the TSA website of allowable carry on items)

"All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes; "

I guess they know what people are going to be doing on vacation and 3oz is just not enough :lol: :wink: :oops:

Pia
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

LOL...Pia.....They don't make a zip lock bag to hold the Tub'O'KY....

Las vegas ain't got nuthin on St. John!! What happens on St. John stays on St. John, unless you have a video like Rick.....

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Definitely can't forget that. I just hope I can get everything into one quart bag! :lol:
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

Mrs CJ,

Remember -- you guys have 2 quart bags to work with. Flying is not like income tax, yet: no marriage penalty.

cat
RickG

Post by RickG »

I think it makes even more sense to do carry-on only on the way home. Leave the big tub of hot tub lube and the sunscreen at the villa and check in online on the way home. As long as you carry on your bathing suit and snorkel gear on the way down you are set.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
djmom

Post by djmom »

eeww!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Not much makes me shy but having lovin-goodies on the TSA belt might be enough to make me blush!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Maybe I'm warped but these lists always give me a giggle. Does anyone really travel with a cattle prod, blasting caps, or nunchukas? At least I can get on with a gel bra, whipped cream, and personal lubricants. It's a vacation after all!
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Thought I would give an update on how the "carry on only" idea worked out. Clothes wise, we were perfect; brought just enough and still had room to bring back a few items. Jay's bag was max size so his was heavy (he got all the shoes and non clothing items, plus his one quart bag), but it's on rollers so not too bad. Mine was smaller and just had clothes and my quart bag. The painful part is fitting the health and beauty aids in 3oz containers and fitting all the containers in a quart bag. We did it but it was tight. Next time I would take the advice someone gave about buying some of the items on island and then just leaving them for the next tenant. Another kinda pain, was taking the quart bag out of the suitcase to go through security. The bags were packed tight, so getting the quart bag out, and then having to put it back afterwards wasn't very fun. They inspect the bag real close so it slows the line down a little bit. On the day of departure, we had a hard time finding a place on St. Thomas that would let us print out our boarding pass. We went several places that had internet, but no printers. We finally found a place (Crown Bay Marina - while enjoying a beverage from Tickles), but then US Air online registration was down. Classic. I was so disappointed thinking about having to stand in line to check in after going though everything with the carryon to try and avoid the line. But, when we got to the airport, there was no line. I've never seen it so dead. I was soooooo happy. Walked right up to the ticket counter, checked in and was in security within a couple minutes. We really lucked out. When we went through security and they checked our carryons, we got stopped for something suspicious. We had bought several containers of spices from St. John Spice and I guess they thought it was "something else". :D The biggest plus was the fact we didn't have to wait on luggage after arriving in STT and in CLT. Off the plane and out the door in minutes. That was nice. Overall, it was worth doing. Now that we're moving to STT, our "vacations" will be spent coming back home and I can just bum their health and beauty aids, so it will be just carry ons from now on!!! (except for the initial move of course) :D
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I have to say traveling with carry on bags is the only way to fly. Getting bumped, or worse a bumped flight and having to worry about luggage is a pain in a patooey. I have come down with checked boxes of stuff from home that I did not want to mail on one flight, but otherwise I travel with carry on bags only. That worked out better than expected. When I moved down I brought one bag of clothes and a laptop. Everything else was mailed or purchased locally. I rented a car on STT for the first week from Dependable Car Rental. They picked me up at the airport and even gave me a ride back to Red Hook when I returned it in a week! Great service. Getting the car in STT allows time for some grocery shopping for those of you that like to bring food down in coolers(and to pick up toiletries), if your flight arrives around 4 or so in the afternoon. Hope to meet the Capt and MrsJay. Safe travels.
Capt Jack
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

My wife and I did the carry-on thing on a short 4 day trip to the Turks and Caicos and if possible, it is the way to travel. When we arrived in T&C it was awesome to go to immigration and then straight to a taxi as everyone was scrambling to get there luggage. I would like to do it on a trip to St. John since you could go straight to the taxi via the rum stand but my little Sun Goddess has too much stuff for a week.