Travel discussion for St. John
SusanNJ

Favorite Island Restaurant Has Closed Its Doors for Good

Post by SusanNJ »

Its a shame, I never even got to try this restaurant:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com//in ... 2&Itemid=1
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

That's a bummer. We did dinner there in May '05 and it was worth every last penny. That was when Ted was there of course.

Location wasn't all that, but the food was outstanding. IT was the quietest our group of 6 was all week. We were too busy stuffing our faces.
Last edited by flip-flop on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Good article. I did not visit Tage on my first trip to STJ and frankly it was not on my list for next time either. We eat very casually and prefer the more moderately priced restaurants. Im sure a lot of STJ lovers will miss this place. Maybe he will do well with private catering which he mentioned. Hope so!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We had Hubs 40th b-day dinner at Tage in 2006 and it was awesome. Didn't go back in 2007 so I guess we missed our chance...
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

That is a bummer - I know Karrl and when he got the place you should have seen how excited he was - he was like a little kid. 8k a month in rent and electricity is a pretty stiff headwind though. It sort of makes some of the prices at other fancy restaurants a bit more understandable.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Chet

Post by Chet »

We had a memorable late afternoon at Tage last year. Sitting at the hi-top table by the front door... having drinks and tasty snacks while we watched a ball game across the street. Dinner was too expensive.
Carmen

Tage, favorite island restaurant, closes

Post by Carmen »

At Tage, named after chef owner's dog, we had just about the best meal we've had in STJ... going there 4X a year since 2000. Will the chef open elsewhere? :
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

What a shame. We ate there last year and it was one of the best meals I have ever had anywere. Ted, the original chef is doing in Villa Catering with Kati Lady.
Jay
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I really hope he comes up with something new. It really does put the restaurant prices in perspective to see $8000 in lights and rent, doesn't it? I don't see how you could cut costs with that.

Best of luck to Karrl. I hope whatever's next is just as spectacular.
StJohnCaptain

Tage

Post by StJohnCaptain »

There are so many good restaurants on St. John that it doesn't seem to matter that one of them closes now and then.

Plenty plenty plenty of choices. Just go to Stone Terrace or La Tapa. Or any place that appeals to you. There is a new Italian restaurant that just opened. And in Mongoose, there is a new place that is upscale. Ocean Grill. Yummy. :D

A complete list is at www.stjohntravelforum.com in the restaurant section.
Greetings from 600 ft. above Coral Bay Harbor -- Captain G.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Also, Ted is still on STJ and cooking. He has stuff at Starfish and Ted's Supper Club (http://www.tedssupperclub.com/), doing in villa dinners. I am sure its pricey but for a special dinner well worth it!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

i inquired into a dinner for one night at our villa. it sounded wonderful, and i expected it to be pricey, but it far surpassed what i expected. really quite out of the question.

alas.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I had a friend that lurks email me and they had the same type of reaction as Maryanne. His actual comment was " For that amount of money, I would ezpect not only a meal, but a bottle of Cristal, servers to feed me, and a two hour massage, but even then it would not be worth it."
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

That's too bad. Hopefully there is a market out there for him.
TouristTrapCheryl

Ted from Tage

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

Ted Robinson is private chefing: http://www.tedssupperclub.com
-cheryl