Tell me about the car ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
Schnell

Tell me about the car ferry

Post by Schnell »

We plan on taking our rental (dependable rental) jeep over to St. John for the first time on our next trip. We are staying on St. Thomas and this will just be a day trip, or two. Does the car ferry drop you off at the same dock that the passenger ferry does? Do we leave from Red Hook as if we were going on the passenger ferry? Just want to get an idea of what to expect and any other tips/help would be appreciated :D

Also, can we park downtown in Cruz Bay somewhere and leave the Jeep for a couple hours?

Thanks!
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Hi Schnell,
We also rented from Dependable and had a good experience. The vehicle ferry is in Redhook, right next to the passenger ferry; actually, the entrance to the car ferry is one driveway beyond the passenger ferry. We made the mistake of turning too soon, but it's an easy fix. There is a little white shack where we stopped to pay the VI Port Authority $3 and then proceded to the area where you board (you back your vehicle onto the ferry; they will guide you.) Once underway, someone will be around to collect the fee ($50 for a 2 way ticket). About a 30 minute ride.

Jamestown
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Me again Schnell,
Parking is always a pill in Cruz Bay. We parked across from Mongoose Junction (along the road that leads back to the National Park Ferry Dock employee parking). Certainly don't park in their spots, but you'll see where others are parked along that road. It's a 5-7 minute walk into town.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

The car barge does not take you to the same location as the people ferry, but it isn't far at all. Just head left after you get off of the car barge and you'll be headed into the middle of town.

There are a few car barge companies...I've never paid $50 for a round-trip (I've always paid less than that), but they don't all charge the same amount (though they're all within a few dollars of each other). It is up to you whether you want to buy two one-ways or one round-trip ticket....the latter will save you around $12 to $15, but then you are committed to taking the same car barge back that you came over on to STJ.
Terry

Post by Terry »

And don't forget to "back on and head off". We picked the one that runs the most often. The General, perhaps? We never gave any money to the "booth" person in Red Hook. We just backed up and waited, like we knew what we were doing! :roll: An attendent comes around once you are pulling away and collects cash for a round trip or one way. Don't wait for the last ferry back to Red Hook as it fills up and you may miss out. Have fun! :) Remember, that you could be on the ferry with gas trucks, cement trucks, etc.
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

You are not completely committed to taking the same barge back with a round-trip ticket.

In June when we were staying on St. Thomas, and visiting St. John, we found that the Roanoke and Capt. Vic barges accept each others' return tickets, as they are owned by the same parent company. Since one traveled on the hour, and the other on the half-hour, we knew we wouldn't have a problem meeting one of them.

If, for some reason, we had missed the last car barge of the day, our alternate plan was to leave our car at Slimman's Parking Lot overnight, take the passenger ferry (they go late into the evening) back to St. Thomas, and return to St. John the following day, also via the passenger ferry, to pick up the car (and, of course, visit for a 2nd day).

Carole
bj

Post by bj »

SoCaTraveler wrote:
"If, for some reason, we had missed the last car barge of the day, our alternate plan" ...

SoCaTraveler I just had to smile at your comment.:D You are such a wise traveler! It's a really good idea while in the islands to have alternate plans. The Virgin Islands have always run on Murphy's Law. :wink:
Peace,
bj
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

In regard to who owns what and how much. I believe that the black and white barges charge either 40 or 42 dollars(one is the Roanoke and the other Capt. Vic). They interchange tickets and are not owned by the same company. They leave on the hour on either side. The last ferry from either company is at 7PM. The Roanoke leaves for Cruz Bay and the Vic leaves from RH at that time.
They gray barges belong to the same company but do not exchange tickets with the black and white ones. They charge 50 dollars and leave on the half hour. There is some strange change in leaving times at the end of the day for them though. The last one leaves RH at 6:30 and I think Cruz Bay at 6:15.
RL 8)
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Thanks for all the answers. I was hoping for a good response :)

We will either do two one-ways so we don't have to worry about taking the same one back to RH or we will just plan our day around the ferry schedule and buy a RT ticket. That way we can save a couple bucks.

My only other worry is parking around Cruz Bay. It sounds tricky, but I will see what we can find from the suggestions.

8)
Connie

Post by Connie »

Terry wrote: :) Remember, that you could be on the ferry with gas trucks, cement trucks, etc.
OR Garbage trucks...that was the worse for us and seriously, it stunk so bad that I thought we would throw up.