Food on the plane?

Travel discussion for St. John
Bug

Food on the plane?

Post by Bug »

Quick travel question....Can you take food on a plane that is brought from home?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!!

XOXO
Bug
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Hopefully someone else can let you know for sure.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes you can - but not liquids over 3oz (water, juice, yoghut etc)

Pia
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

You can bring food. Any liquids you take on the plane that are over 3oz need to be purchased past security. In other words, you can't bring that 20oz bottle of water from home, but you can buy it at the airport (after you go through security) and take it on the plane.
Jennifer

Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I'm glad that you got some more responses! The liquid/food thing really confuses me now. We only "carried on", and I figured out all of those requirements, but not much more.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Food is a good to go ny son took 2 left over racks of ribs with him on sunday hw said you should of seen the people look when he pulled out a half rack and they were having pretzels
Diane

Post by Diane »

Bug,
We took lots of food in our carry-on. Mainly snacks for the beach; nuts, dried fruit, crackers, power bars, granola. As long as it's not liquid, or frozen and melting, you should be fine.
I wanted to take some frozen steaks, but the blue freezer packs are not allowed.
Diane
Bug

Post by Bug »

Thanks for all the responses. I knew the liquid thing, but I couldn't figure out if I was allowed to take my italian hogie for lunch!!!!

XOXO
Bug
HAP

Post by HAP »

LAST TIME WE WENT DOWN WE TOOK OUR FAVORITE HOAGIES BOY DID THE HOLE PLAIN SMELL GOOD
DEFEREVTLY DO IT
HAP
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I packed us gruyere sandwiches, tangerines, and pistachios for the trip down. Considering how long it took for us to get there, it turned out to be a very wise decision!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We always pack snacks for the plane. With a 5 year old no food is just not an option. I always feel sorry for those who don't think to bring anything because they often look longingly at my seemingly endless supply of goodies.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We packed an entire days worth of meals for our son (breakfast, lunch, a just-in-case-of-delay-dinner and several snacks) and had no problem. The TSA scanner in Philly did comment to his co-worker "check out this lunch box."

Next trip I will likely pack for hubs and I as the airline ran out of food last time. We didn't have time for breakfast and by the time got on the plane, we were HUNGRY.
MrsCARolph

Post by MrsCARolph »

Food is always a good idea since airlines won't feed their passengers anymore! As long as it's not liquid, you're okay. Crackers, yes. Yogurt, no. Jell-o...well you're on your own.

One interesting fact...sometimes food looks like an explosive when it goes through the x-ray--especially chocolate. Go figure!
brenda

Post by brenda »

liamsaunt wrote:I packed us gruyere sandwiches, tangerines, and pistachios for the trip down. Considering how long it took for us to get there, it turned out to be a very wise decision!
Can you elaborate on the gruyere sandwich? I'm always trying to think of something decent to eat that will "hold" for several (4-5) hours without a cooler. There must be something because when I worked in the Emergency Department, we would eat stuff that had been laying around for a shift or so. Anyone have any favorite snacks other than the obvious to bring on the plane?
Going "home" again October 26th!
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

i was also wondering whether there is a tsa-approved non-ice way to keep things cold, even if just for a few hours?