boat day in the usvi

Travel discussion for St. John
tupelodent

boat day in the usvi

Post by tupelodent »

Planning a boat day with Palm Tree Charters for our trip in June. We want to do USVI this time because we've done the BVI and one of us won't have passport. What are some must see places to snorkel that we can't reach from the shore while on St. John?
Exit Zero

Re: boat day in the usvi

Post by Exit Zero »

Flanagan Is. -- Newfound Bay -- Whistling Cay -- Congo Cay -- North side of Thatch Cay - Pelican Rock -- Carvel Rocks
C&S Island Time

Post by C&S Island Time »

Have you thought of using Rock Hoppin instead of Palm Tree charters? WE have been out on several boat days and our favorite is Rock Hoppin, and their rates are lower and the fuel is included !
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Exit Zero wrote:Flanagan Is. -- Newfound Bay -- Whistling Cay -- Congo Cay -- North side of Thatch Cay - Pelican Rock -- Carvel Rocks
All these are great choices and I would add Johnson's Reef, Steven Cay & Henley Cay to the list.
Last edited by Pulley on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

In addition to Exit Zero's suggestions, I would also recommend Lovongo Cay and the the back side of Little St. James. Last year we went over to Abi for lunch, and that was really fun but I don't know how long it would take to get over there on Palm Tree. Our boat was bigger and had more horsepower than Palm Tree. I think this year we are going to check out Pizza Pi in Christmas Cove for lunch.

Thanks for starting this topic! I was planning on posting the same thing as I am starting to plan my June USVI boat day as well. I have not been to a couple of the places Exit Zero mentioned so now I have some new ideas :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'd add in the USVI beach bar/lunch options: Pizza Pi in Christmas Cove, Abi Beach Bar and (further afield) Honeymoon Bay on Water Island with Dinghy's Beach Bar and Heidi's.

The cays between St. Thomas and St. John have a bunch of good snorkel/dive spots. If you want to maximize your snorkel time and grab lunch, Pizza Pi in Christmas Cove has very good pizza and great snorkeling. Heading all the way to Flanagan is a long day, unless you specifically want to circumnavigate. Newfound is exposed to swell, so watch the weather.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
tupelodent

Post by tupelodent »

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciate it.