SJU > STT via Cape Air? Opinions?

Travel discussion for St. John
JohnM

SJU > STT via Cape Air? Opinions?

Post by JohnM »

Even though I'm mostly a lurker, I highly value the opinions of everyone here.

We have to reschedule our United flight this Spring from Newark NJ to STT, which was booked using miles.

United gives me a choice of 20K additional miles pp to fly directly EWR-STT .... or fly EWR-SJU-STT without any additional mileage 'cost'. Both flights are scheduled to arrive about the same time on a Saturday.

Taking the flight through SJU (which involves a Cape Air SJU-STT leg) seems like a non-brainer.

But there's a No-See-Um in my head, telling me that I shouldn't risk using Cape Air. Or flying thru SJU whatsoever on a Saturday (cruise ship arrival-departure day).

Opinions & comments appreciated. TY!

PS> I need a Painkiller!!!
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
StJohnbum

Re: SJU > STT via Cape Air? Opinions?

Post by StJohnbum »

I'm not a big fan of the San Juan airport. It just always seems like a mad house until you get through security. But we have used Cape Air through SJU a couple of times and have had no issues. However it has been a few years since we used them so hopefully someone can give you more up to date advice. Good luck and have a great trip.
loria

Post by loria »

Fly direct. while the puddle jump flight is fun... you risk cancellation or booting to another flight (there are strict weight and luggage issues), luggage going astray , etc, etc -- i love flying the small planes.. but if you have a direct option.... why risk it?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

loria: Here's a quick summary and photo of our Cape Air experience:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... 60#p296503

Maybe you'll get that one!

All the best,

Kevin
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

I use them for inter islands hops all the time, they are fine.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Because of where we live, every flight to STT is a double hop. Last year's reservation on United was changed from a direct flight from EWR to STT to a stop at SJU, a long layover and a Cape Air flight to STT. As we approached the end of our four hour layover we were bumped from our flight and had to spend the night in SJU.

While the flight is fun, we probably would not risk doing it again even though both airlines made amends as best they could. United offered $150 vouchers a piece for a year and Cape Air offed a free flight.
portiemom

Post by portiemom »

I'm NOT a fan of Cape Air (Cape Fear as we call it!). They are notoriously unreliable. 3 times (over the course of 6 months),my flight with them was late (causing me to miss my connecting flight),or it just didn't show up at all(causing me to spend the night in what I call lovingly the "hostile hostel" on St.Thomas,since it was Spring Break and there were no rooms to be had,anywhere….complete with useless vouchers,and a cab that refused to take me to said hostel,due to neighborhood it was located in….)
That said….when my flights with Cape Air DID actually take place,I did enjoy sitting in the copilot seat,taking in the view.
SJU airport is an under construction mess as of a few months back,when I took my last….and I mean LAST flight with Cape Air.(yes,I did EVENTUALLY get my luggage,as it almost NEVER arrives with you on the same plane!)
Good Luck!
Lisa
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I appreciate taking the time to post your opinions.

I'm going to go along with what many of you said ... use the miles to book the direct flight.

TY!
JM
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
loria

Post by loria »

coconuts and equinneannie-- i love cape air - and seaborne as well-- i enjoy the small plane experience and the lower crossing (at night especially it's really REALLY nice!) -- but those planes have more frequent cancellations and all....so that is why i suggested the direct option.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

We've had no problems with Cape Air. It's fun flying sideways in the thermals over Puerto Rico and doing a short field approach and landing because a heavy is right behind you...it's really exciting...My son got to sit in the co-plots seat...he loved it...
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We use Cape Air many times over the years. Love the small plane experience but it seems like there are more "challenges" since they are growing into the market.

We flew (or tried to) in February and it was a mess, for a number of reasons, to the extent it really messed with our vacation time. We are giving them a break for a while.

Luggage/weight restrictions have always been an issue so one needs to be prepared for delayed bags. Our bags were delayed three times. On another forum I frequent, there are reports that Cape Air has left carry-on luggage behind as well.

If anyone is looking for another option, in July we flew private charter between STT and SJU on Air America for less than commercial (Cape Air and Seaborne) tickets. STT airport is a dream when you don't need to go thru C&I/TSA. We literally stepped out of the cab and wheeled our bags thru the doors and onto the tarmac.