Minors-passport card for travel to bvi's?

Travel discussion for St. John
krislbi

Minors-passport card for travel to bvi's?

Post by krislbi »

Hi all
Does anyone know if a passport card will suffice for traveling to Jost from StJ on a boat day?
We are leaving in 3 weeks and dropped the ball on getting the kids passports renewed so thought this may be a better (much less expensive) option. Plus if it doesn't come in time I won't be so p-ssed off about wasting $400 as I would with a traditional passport.
Any input is appreciated!
Barb Y

Re: Minors-passport card for travel to bvi's?

Post by Barb Y »

I just sent out my paperwork to expedite my recently expired passport. Trip is in 5 weeks so fingers crossed. I found this info re: the passport card on the US Passport website:
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Best of luck!
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

So not to sound like an idiot but does that mean that the bvi's would accept it since the U.S. would?
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

It looks like they should take it as it is via sea travel.
Check out these: http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/beforey ... sports.htm

http://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/read.php?4,113336

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... sport_Card

Ok last thing:
U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport to enter the British Virgin Islands. For further information, travelers may contact the BVI Tourist Board at (800) 835-8530 or (212) 563-3117, Fax: (212) 563-2263 or visit the BVI Tourist Board online for current entry requirements. U.S. citizens should take special care to secure their passports while traveling as it can be time-consuming and difficult to acquire new proof of citizenship to facilitate return travel should the passport be lost or stolen.

All U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter the United States. This extended to all sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service on June 1, 2009. Travelers must now present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry to the United States. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s licenses are sufficient for entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. We strongly encourage all U.S. citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport or passport card well in advance of anticipated travel. U.S. citizens can call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Most of the frequent BVI visitors, like day captains, have moved to the passport card. The passport books fill up very fast and you have to surrender the passport to add more pages.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I'm glad you posted this...I had not even thought about just getting the cards..ours are not expired but the kids are and my daughter in law doesn't have one...we were tossing the idea around about a day trip...but kinda decided against when we added up all the costs for 6 passports and then the Charter, this might just shed new light on things...Thanks !!!
[/url]
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes 100% acceptable

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Bett

Post by Bett »

Our now 13 year old G'daughter has had a passport card for her last 3 trips down and we went to the BVI's with no problem . we arrive on Sat and she will be bringing it with her . As Grandparents who travel a lot with these kids , and with no parent along we want to make sure we are covered ! have fun !
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Barb Y, we just renewed our passports and it took less than 4 weeks. You should be fine with your 5 week deadline. We did not expedite them since we had a two month deadline.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Thanks cocosmom! I just checked the status and it looks like it should be sent back priority next week. Wooo hoooo! Thanks for the positive encouragement.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Barb, priority was probably a good bet! It took quite awhile once they were mailed...surprised me.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Cards work fine...had to renew the kids this year and got them full blown passports...3 weeks delivery. Might have helped they were in the system so to speak...