St Thomas Hotel

Travel discussion for St. John
lorijo068

St Thomas Hotel

Post by lorijo068 »

Good morning All! We are thinking of coming a day early and staying our first night in a hotel on STT so we can get that full first villa day! Where do you guys stay if you do this? We will get our jeep on STT (also a first) so I guess it doesn't need to be close to the airport...
Thanks in advance!
KidLiggy

Re: St Thomas Hotel

Post by KidLiggy »

Hi, I am typing this from the loft studio at Amore, Donald Schnell's art studio. Staying 2 nights after a villa stay on bordeux. We've stayed at cruz bay boutique hotel before and while it was nice, Amore is much bigger and just beautiful for only a little more $$. We also rented a jeep from them. Couldn't be happier with the service, Donald is a very gracious man. Now, off to baked in the sun bakery, then to saloman beach!
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

We have done exactly the same thing for the last couple of years. We have stayed one or two days on STT before heading over to STJ. Our 2 go to places are the Island View Guest House and the Green Iguana. Basic, very reasonable, modest. THe Green Iguana is above the 99 steps downtown. If you want to shop that is a short walk to all the downtown shops. The Island View Guest House is about 5 minutes from the airport, great view and restaurant in-house. Nice breakfast included with an honor bar. What we have done,since our flights arrive late in the afternoon, is to taxi to either and pick up the car the next day thus saving a days rental. Many of the car rental places will pick you up or if downtown or at the Guest House the taxi ride is easy. Both places are run by very nice and helpful people. At the Guest House one of the owners is the cook who is at the outdoor grill at night working on the steaks. My wife and I love the decompression time from the travel before moving onto STJ for the rest of our trip. Also if the flights get late, it is much easier to not have to worry about ferry schedules as the car ferries do not run much past 6pm if memory serves. Already planning my trip for next winter which will be our 31st trip to the Rock.
toni

Post by toni »

Hi,
We have stayed at several places, either before or after. Sometime it just depends on what our plans are, how many days we will be there, price point, and if there's anything we would like to see/do on STT. If we want to start our beach lounging early, we stay at Emerald Beach and watch the planes come and go. If we (ok, I, LOL) want to go jewelry shopping or if we want to catch a BVI ferry, we stay at windward passage since it's so convenient. We've also stayed at the green iguana, and would recommend that if you are staying for a few days since many (all?) have kitchenettes. If it's the same people running it they were very nice. Also would recommend Mafolie for the outstanding view and great restaurant.
Really can't go wrong-enjoy!
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

Sorry, realize now you were asking about st Thomas hotels. But if you can get over here even if late, try. We have done emerald beach before and although nice I would just get here so you can wake up and be here.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed at the Green Iguana once. While basic, it was very clean. The managers have a selection of beverages and snacks available for purchase. It suited our needs for a one night stop.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

I think, kidliggy, that that is a possibility also! Hadnt thought of it...We have 2 newbies wth us so looking for the best way to go and to get the most out of our stay. I had looked at amore so I'm glad to know it is nice...
Thank you all for your advice!!
158 days!!