Sea glass upper Carolina, villa Jumbie coral bay? Help!

Travel discussion for St. John
Frankiediamonds

Sea glass upper Carolina, villa Jumbie coral bay? Help!

Post by Frankiediamonds »

Any thoughts on these 2 villas? I've been to the island many times but this is the first time with my younger kids 14 - 11 - 9 Heading out in July can't wait!
Frankie D
stjchica

Re: Sea glass upper Carolina, villa Jumbie coral bay? Help!

Post by stjchica »

I don't have personal experience with either..but looked at them after seeing your post and will just offer my thoughts until someone else posts :) 2 things that stand out are..
1. Villa Jumbie is 2 bedrooms and although there is a sleeper sofa, I would think it would just be better all around for everyone to have their space in a room even if 2 have to share a room.
2. I didn't see A/C listed on Sea Glass Villa..and you are going in July..
So that kind of makes it a toss up. If SeaGlass has AC I would pick that since it has the 3 bedrooms...
You will have a great time either way...Enjoy!!
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Villa Jumbie was the last place we stayed on STJ, and we absolutely loved it.
How many people total in your party,4? I'd say just go for it.
Like so many folks on vaca down there, we tend to get up early for a big breakfast, coffee, bloody mary's, etc...so I don't think that there will be any type of crowding issue. Each bedroom had its own bathroom, and there's another on the patio by the pool, which was a treat,so you won't have to wake anyone if you need it. Since you're going to be with your kids, I'd recommend you take the sofa bed for obvious reasons... They'll love their own rooms, and you'll feel safer about "guarding" the sliding glass doors from any adventures they might want to take during the night-time hours. Having a.c. will undoubtedly divert any potential crankiness for all involved, as you're probably well aware. Also you can totally unwind how you wish after they're asleep...just sayin'...
Ok, enough of my opinions, hell, I don't even have kids, so who am I to tell you how to manage yours?!? :oops:
Truth told, the villa is plenty big enough,-much roomier than the pix show on the website. Awesomely sized open kitchen, and the deck is wonderful! Having washer/dryer is a definate plus, too. Plenty of floats, chairs, coolers, etc...for your beach trips. We actually brought down a ropeladder to use for a dinghy day that we donated to the owners & guests, have at it!
Then there's the location and view,- I'd give both a resounding 2 thumbs up!
We absolutely loved having the shops & restaurants at our fingertips. The home is clean, bright, and I just can't say enough good things about it, the owners, and management company, as well.
Sorry to say I've never been to Sea Glass, but thought I'd ramble a little about Villa Jumbie. LOVED it!
You'll have a blast either way.
Smiles-
MJ
Frankiediamonds

Post by Frankiediamonds »

I was thinking the same thing. The management hasn't returned my call yet and not having AC in July can be bad. I think Villa jumbie works the best.

Thanks for your thoughts :)
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Villa rental: $2000
Airfare for 5 from DFW: $4000 :evil:

Airfare is keeping me from an island trip with our family and it sucks...
~Pam~
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Pam, I found airfare on AA for $518 RT with good times: leaving DFW @ 5:30 and arriving on STT at 12:30 PM for October so keep looking. You should be able to shave at least close to $1500 off of that. My husband has been getting notifications for close in air fares - some below $400. Set up email alerts on Kayak and check this site someone posted on here periodically. http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm
Good luck!! It's been 19 months since I've been there and I can't wait to get back!!
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Oh and Villa Jumbie is a great house. Fully air conditioned, great pool, porch, and view. With the east facing windows you will wake up early and I would've liked a little more comfortable mattress, but I'm PICKY! Loved my week there. I don't know anything about the other place, though.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Backtotheislands...yes, I'm sure it's because it's summer time....Hurricane Season like Sept/Oct generally has better fares...Unfortunately we are limited on weeks we can visit because of the kids' schedules..Will keep looking!
~Pam~