need VG vs STJ info

Travel discussion for St. John
stjchica

need VG vs STJ info

Post by stjchica »

Hey all...
We have stayed on STJ and Tortola in the past. Our friends threw Virgin Gorda into the running for an upcoming trip. Can someone that has been there give me some info on how VG compares to STJ as far as places with live music in the evenings to hang out and also how the restaurants are there to help us make a decision. Thanks for any info. You guys have so much knowledge of STJ and the neighboring islands.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
RickG

Re: need VG vs STJ info

Post by RickG »

Think quieter, slower and less crowded. VG is a great scene. Less music, fewer restaurants, fewer beaches and a whole lot of goodness. I'd do VG over STJ Easter week, Christmas or another peak week. STJ has better beaches, snorkeling, landscapes and lifestyle.

I hate choices. That's why I started sailing. If all things are equal, I pick St. John over the rest of the planet. Virgin Gorda is top 10.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks Rick. Turks & Caicos is also in the running. Tough decisions. Also thought
We would be able to island hop still from VG but it looks like a chore to get to
Jost from VG.
~Pam~
RickG

Post by RickG »

Turks & Caicos is a flat small place. If you're looking that far away think Iles des Saintes, Bequia, St. Barts.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks.T&C isn't my first choice. I'm a VI/BVI girl :D
~Pam~
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We loved VG and will probably go back next trip.

The one thing we missed on VG was Cruz Bay. We enjoy waking around town at night before and after dinner. Spanishtown doesn't have the same vibe.

We have been to Provo, T & C twice and really liked it for what it was. We did some work there and have connections on the island so we didn't have the typical tourist experience. It is very different from STJ. The islands are dry and flat. The water is so blue, it glows. Provo reminds me a Florida a bit. There are 4 lane highways running through the center of the island with big box stores, warehouses, shopping centers, etc. Grace Bay Beach is stunning and there are many on the beach rentals to fit all budgets. The out islands are beyond quiet.