Kayak and Mangrove snorkel

Travel discussion for St. John
cindygad

Kayak and Mangrove snorkel

Post by cindygad »

I signed up for friends of VI National Park Series to do kayak and mangrove snorkel. We met at Skinny legs to car pool to Haulover South. The tour was with local scientist Barry Devine.

My husband and I had snorkeled the mangroves on our own a couple of years ago. It freaked me out and I even jumped on his back. He loved the snorkel, I hated it. He was surprised when I found the tour and offered to try it again. What a different experience and I was so glad I tried it again!

The kayak was through Arawak expeditions through Coral Reef National Monument.

Gretchen3

Re: Kayak and Mangrove snorkel

Post by Gretchen3 »

Thank you for posting your experience and photos. I have always wanted to snorkel the mangroves, but have always feared I would be claustrophobic. Even though I've snorkeled many times, that first 10 minutes underwater is a challenge. I have to talk myself through it with deliberate breathing each and every time. After that, I'm totally fine for multiple hours of snorkeling at a time! On the north shore of Kauai, HI where the snorkeling is shallow I freak out.
I would like to try with the guidance (and security) of Arawak. But, first, one question...How do you get in and out of the kayaks?! Is there a spot to safely beach them? I like to kayak, but my experiences are controlled with nice landings, docks, shores. When in deeper water river kayaking it takes a strong friend to secure my kayak for my clumsy self to get in and out. :oops:
Thanks,
Gretchen
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Gretchen you explained my fear exactly. I have never been claustrophobic but the first time that is what happened. It was to shallow, murky and hard for me to breath. Friends through the park only do the tour a couple of times a year.

There were several sandy areas that were easy to beach the kayak. We plan to rent from Crabbies and Kayak to the area of Hurricane Hole to snorkel again.This is a picture where we beached it.

ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Now THAT is cool. I would definitely do a mangrove snorkel with support other than me and my husband attempting it solo. Comfort in numbers and all that jazz.... Maybe there will be one of these tours when we're there in August! Thanks for sharing!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for posting the pics. We enjoy snorkeling in mangroves, but it was a new experience for us a couple years ago.

One year we took a day charter sail/snorkel with Long Distance out of Coral Bay. The last snorkel of the day was in the mangroves in the Hurricane Hole area. I was nervous about being in the mangroves as they seemed "creepy". However, we loved the snorkel and were so happy that we had done it. We approached from deeper water (where the sailboat was moored), which was nice, so there was less silt stirred up.

I don't know if Long Distance always does a mangrove snorkel, but you could check with them, as an alternative to the kayaking trip. The sailboat is nice, and Rick and Robin are very nice trip hosts. We really enjoyed the day with them.
ShaSha

Post by ShaSha »

Thank you for posting your trip and pictures!! I was really surprised how clear and pretty that it was! Am so glad that you had such a good time and the picture of Jim and you is so good. You guys really look so happy and were having a great time!