Rental Car for 6 adults?

Travel discussion for St. John
vi lover

Rental Car for 6 adults?

Post by vi lover »

Does anyone know where I can possibly rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle on St. Thomas that seats 6? We'll be going to St. John. Budget advertises a large SUV, but I don't want to rent from them. Any other agencies you could recommend? We're on STT for a day before and a day after our villa reservations on STJ, so renting on STT would be preferable.

I believe Conrad Sutton rents a large SUV on St. John. Anyone else on STJ?

We could rent 2 Jeeps, but would much rather have a single vehicle.

Thanks!
kklay

Re: Rental Car for 6 adults?

Post by kklay »

Last November we rented a Pathfinder from Amalie Car Rental. I believe it is rated as a 7 passenger, however there were 6 of us plus luggage. We got creative with our luggage and even picked up a few groceries before getting on the car barge to St John.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Most people will caution you about renting one vehicle with that many adults. Inevitably you will want to split up and won't have a vehicle for some in the group.
But, if your budget doesn't allow for 2 vehicles, you can check out Discount on STT. They have Durangos and Traverses that are for 6+.
Tickerless :(
scoob

Post by scoob »

Ditto for the Chevy Traverse from discount..
GREAT vehicle-a lot of power and handled great !!
Got upgraded to it last trip,the Pathfinder had less than stellar brakes..
Wish I owned one...
Still waiting for a new ticker... soon ???
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Don't forget that it has to be big enough for luggage too.

When traveling with a large group, the dynamics change. I am certain that at some point some will want to go one direction and some the other. If it were me, I would be getting two jeeps.

I think that my favorite rental company, L&L has some larger vehicles. They have also opened an office on STT. If that's what your looking for.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We have rented a Minivan the past 3+ years for 6 people and found it to be perfect. There is WAY more space for luggage, chairs, coolers than a SUV, Plus, ease of entry for my 76 yr old mom through the sliding doors. Downside is no cross-island 4wd driving.

Have used and can recommend; Discount, Dependable and Budget
kklay

Post by kklay »

As I mentioned previously, we rented a Nissan Pathfinder from Amalie Car Rental. In this vehicle the 3rd row was a split 60/40 and we were able to fold down the 60% side. We are also cooler people and had checked a cooler along with two other bags, plus all our carry-ons for 6 people. Just need to be creative about the luggage, at least for the trip over to St. John (a few of us carried the carry-on luggage on our laps for the trip over). Once on-island we had NO problems with having enough space for beach bags, chairs, cooler to take to the beach. :D
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I would never rent only one vehicle for 6 people. Nightmare! We did it with 4 people once. Never again. I would strongly suggest you reconsider.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I really did not know so many STT agencies offered the larger vehicle.

The update is: It doesn't matter now. We found a 4th couple to join us, so we'll be renting 2 Jeeps. That's a lot easier decision and Jeeps are much more available.

Thanks again for your replies - I'll keep it in mind for next year.