honest rental car question for allwho have stayed on St John

Travel discussion for St. John
sku01pt

honest rental car question for allwho have stayed on St John

Post by sku01pt »

ok what part of my 9 days on island would i really need a 4x4 jeep? and could i really get buy with a car? i know its all part of being in the moment and having a jeep on the island....but honestly do i really need a 4x4 jeep? thanks for your help
lprof

Re: honest rental car question for allwho have stayed on St

Post by lprof »

I would not try taking a car to the Lameshur, Kiddel, & Grootpan Bays... just my thoughts.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
loria

Post by loria »

i wouldn't take a regular car on the northshore road.... i have seen so many people get stuck or slide backward-- even in completely dry conditions! and you'd be screwed if it rained...
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Any hills in the rain need 4 wheel drive!
sku01pt

Post by sku01pt »

Thanks for the great info.i do plan on seeing a lot of the island,so I guess I'm gonna have to go with the 4x4.... Thanks!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

One day while we were on the island in January it rained really hard...We were headed back to our villa in fish bay and on route 104 there is a "big" hill to go up. In front of us there was a 2wd full size truck and he starting spinning out half way up that hill...his engine started smoking and he started sliding back down the hill...it was a little scary! So my husband stopped our jeep and we starting backing up down that hill to get out of the trucks way. Our jeep had no trouble in the rain on that hill and we were so happy to have a 4wd! After we gave the truck plenty of room he was able to turn around and go back down the hill. We continued on our way with no trouble! That's when I knew you have to have a 4wd or at least an AWD vehicle on St. John...
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I got stuck renting a car because Budget overbooked their jeeps and let me tell you it did hamper my plans, I planned on visiting someone who lives on lower Gifft Hill Rd and decided not to because of a bad experience on a switchback after Trunk Bay the day before and the road was dry! I also ventured out to Francis Bay and almost bottomed out a few times, I think it is worth spending the extra money in case it does rain and you are not limited to where you can travel. :)
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

I always rent a Jeep on island. It's the cheapest rental anyway, at least from my rental company. I wouldn't ever go 2 wheel drive anywhere on island. Too dangerous.