The over-asked beach question - Trunk or Cinnamon

Travel discussion for St. John
coldfront

The over-asked beach question - Trunk or Cinnamon

Post by coldfront »

Good evening,

I know there are tons of posts around the web on this, but I guess I was just looking for some newer responses along with some consistent search results that confused me :D

Some in my group are first time visitors to STJ. Additionally a few are older and not marathon walkers by any means and we want to save their legs as much as possible for Annaberg :lol: I won't get into too much else as we are all just open for everything and anything, plus I know the two beaches have similar amenities.

Any suggestions on the latest and greatest, including for first time visitors to STJ that will only be on island for a day would be welcome. The confusing part for me is when you do a Google search for Trunk Bay vs Cinnamon Bay there are quite a few answers stating something like "first time visitors should go to Trunk but I think the beauty of Cinnamon is much better with the views". Wouldn't you want first time visitor to see the most beautiful part :?: Or are you trying to keep that to yourselves, hee hee hee.

Again, I know this is so subjective and so many variables and so over asked, so I'm just looking for anything new that may come to mind. Oh, and I know this depends on a lot as well and can change daily, but which of the two do you think is calmer.

The amenities of these two beaches are a must so that is why I am trying to limit it to these two and have to pick just one as there are a few other things lined up for the day visitors.

THANKS!
Lovermont

Re: The over-asked beach question - Trunk or Cinnamon

Post by Lovermont »

I don't think my answer is going to help you, because my honest feeling is that there is not a "bad beach" on STJ. Either of them will be great, but if you're picking the beach that will be a shorter walk, then you should go to Trunk. Of course, Hawksnest is even a shorter walk, also a nice view, but the beach isn't as expansive.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'd say Trunk, because I believe even on the bad days, it's calmer than Cinnamon. It's quite a walk down the hill from Cinnamon Bay parking to the beach. If your trip is soon, it's also been very windy. We were sandblasted on Cinnamon, last week.
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Boy coldfront, you can't go wrong with either...they are both beautiful and not very far from each other. You have to pay to get into trunk bay, but not cinnamon. Trunk has the coral reef trail, so for beginners who all need easy access and amenities its a good choice. It can be busy, so get there early (if you get there before 8:00am you can most likely get in for free :D ). Have fun and don't worry, either one will be fabulous.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Last summer was my first visit to STJ. We hit both Trunk and Cinnamon on calm water days with a light breeze (early August).

My vote would be for Cinnamon. We spent our time at the far right end (as you face the water from the entrance) and it was fantastic. The sand area was very deep allowing for good room to move about. There is some beautiful coral at that end where I saw some great fish, stingrays, barracudas, and sea turtles. Water clarity was excellent!

Don't get me wrong, we weren't slumming it at Trunk, but we did share 1/2 our day there with a Disney Cruise, and it felt much more crowded.

I will go back to both, but Cinnamon will be one of the first on the list after Maho!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

This is a tough question for me. I love both of them. We only "discovered" Cinnamon on our most recent trip, so we've only spent a little time there. The scenery is sooo beautiful. The only downside for us is that there isn't much shade where the beach is the widest. We had better choices of shady spots at Trunk. When we were there in May, the water was usually calmer at Trunk Bay. Its definitely conducive to just hanging out in the water, and the snorkeling out around the little cay has been fantastic for us. Trunk is a shorter walk, so that might be your best bet. Be sure to stop at the overlook on your way there to give the newbies that wonderful view. If you go to Cinnamon, be sure to see the gigantic tree next to the dining area. I can't remember the name, but it was beautiful.
As the others have said, you can't go wrong with either beach.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

You do not mention of your group is planning to get in the water at either beach or if there are plans to snorkel.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
coldfront

Post by coldfront »

Hi Toes, just considering everything and anything being equal I guess you could say. Yeah, some snorkeling, shade, food, rentals of things, showers, the walk as I mentioned....... pretty much just considering everything right down the middle.
toni

Post by toni »

We hit both trunk and cinnamon last month. I'd vote for trunk because the Mosquitos were out that week and we had no issues at trunk with them but they seemed to be all over cinnamon on the left side. Trunk is big enough that it didn't feel crowded, and we like being out in the sun more so that was good, cinnamon if I remember was more shady. Both are beautiful, and I don't mind paying at trunk for the benefit of the facilities. We don't snorkel so can't comment on that.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

The walk to the beach for either is similar. Cinnamon may be just a bit further from parking to the beach. Both walks are similar uphill grades from the beach to parking with similar footpaths.
Both are spectacular beaches.
Trunk may have more people depending on when you visit.
Trunk has lifeguards, a snorkel trail, a concession stand and showers. Trunk has a $4 admission that also gets you into Annaberg. I believe that seniors receive a discount. No admission fee if you enter before 8 am or after 4pm?? check the times. No lifeguards or concessions there either at those times
Cinnamon has a resturant, a convenience store and showers. Cinnamons resturant is seasonal. Check to be sure it is open when you plan to visit.
I have not snorkeled either lately and can't comment on the sealife at either. We use these beaches for beach days. I agree with Minde that the wind at Cinnamon can be significantly stronger than at Trunk. Trunk is a smaller, more crescent shaped bay providing better wind and wave protection. I have not witnessed it but I have read repeated reports about beach erosion at Cinnamon after significant storms.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"