ok, really don't like traveling on a school vacation week

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

ok, really don't like traveling on a school vacation week

Post by loria »

but at least we are GOING! finally!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Re: ok, really don't like traveling on a school vacation wee

Post by mindehankins »

Congratulations!!!

I don't like flying out of snowy airports, but as you say, "I'm finally going! " And I'm bringing my treasure with me, too!
scoob

Post by scoob »

It may be a little crowded President's week,but we make the best of it.
Knowing everyone else has a snowy ,cold week off and we are soaking up the sun !!
The family we travel with have 2 boys,12, and 14.
They keep us young and we so much enjoy the time with them.
The boys are sponges for new experiences and are getting the hang of snorkeling.
And don't mind the parents having a few bloody marys on the beach... :oops:

my two cents,

Scoob
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Never traveled on school vac week always took the boys out I figured they learned more traveling the world the at school
Tom
samoka

Post by samoka »

As a teacher I always have to travel on school vacation week - its nice to know when you will have time off a year in advance also I teach/live in NH so we have the week after Presidents week - all I can say is I have the best luck buying/reserving as far in advance as possible. I bought my air tickets for Feb in July the day they went on sale - under $500 - good luck!
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Hopefully there'll be a place to spray the road salt off our carry-on wheels! The teacher wife and I'll be joining you Presidents week again this year.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I share Waterguy's views but have learned since my son started school that I am most definately in the minority. Through casual conversations with other parents, our travel plans as it relates to our son missing school has raised a lot of eyebrows.

What I was not prepared for was my son's feelings about missing school. He is 7yo. We took him out of school for a long weekend trip to Philly in September and he had a great deal of anxiety about missing school for only one day. (Husband and I both said he definately didn't inherit this attitiude from us!) He is really going to have a fit in February when we do a 10 day trip. We timed it to take advantage of a mini-school break.

Because of how our business busy/slower times fall, we often are travelling at the same time as NE school holidays.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Why do you hate it? We did it when our kids were young but as they reached junior high, there was too much work to make up. Plus, they got punishment from their coaches for missing practice.
I am peeved that my birthday is Presidents week. Too crowded and the flights are too expensive to make it enjoyable. We went for my 40th bday but I don't know if we will do it again.