Backtotheislands trip report days 3 & 4

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Backtotheislands trip report days 3 & 4

Post by Backtotheislands »

Day 3:
I slept in a little later today and just enjoyed the view from Sun, Moon, and Stars, the wonderful deck and the great music on the outdoor speakers while waiting PATIENTLY for my hubby to “do his thing” on the computer. Finally, we headed to the East end. We had never snorkeled anywhere over here and I wanted to got to Haulover north, but the kayak folks told us it was rough and covered up in seaweed, so we headed onto Hanson. We set up our chairs just to the right of the rocks where Pelican rock is. It was rocky going in, but I didn’t see any urchins! We saw a lot of cool stuff , including a good-sized barracuda and tarpon, a stingray, and I saw an upside down jellyfish! I’d never seen one before. It was laying on the grassy bottom. We snorkeled on down to the rocks on the other side of Vie’s and saw Angel’s Rest there. The thought of a floating bar is pretty cool to me! 8) I felt like this would have been a perfect place to see an octopus, but no such luck! We rested on the beach for awhile, found “our” villa across the water, and enjoyed some special beverages I’d fixed up. Snorkel gear, underwater camera, ice chest, chairs and towels. . . all the necessities for a great day on St. John!
After our nice, long snorkel we headed “home” for a swim and to relax on the wonderful deck. Then it was time to clean up and head into Cruz Bay to catch a sunset. The sunset was sort of a bust . . . the sun set, but there were no pretty colors afterwards. Oh well, it was still fun and we watched it from Spyglass. I had the Lobster Risotto and Ted had the whole fried grouper. This is where I wish I could post a picture – the head was still on and it looked, well, just sort of strange. I wouldn’t even taste it, but it did make for an interesting picture! My risotto was good, but you just can’t beat Aqua Bistro’s risotto! YUM! We had one drink apiece and a piece of their fried key lime pie to split for a total of $102. That fried pie was delish! We both would highly recommend it! It was something new and different and wonderful. We got back home and realized that the best view was the full moon rising off our balcony. Wow! We just sat on the deck and enjoyed it.

Day 4:
Another beautiful day in paradise! We headed to Leinster Bay and Waterlemon! I was so excited. We hiked out to the beach and found our spot, put on our flippers and took off. We were having a nice little snorkel and as we came upon the close end of Waterlemon we saw our first moon jelly. It was so pretty to see in the sunlight, but then we started seeing more. Hmmm! Are they harmful? Do they sting? I didn’t have a clue and neither did my husband so we didn’t want to touch one. We were swimming counterclockwise and as we got to the far tip of the island they were everywhere! :shock: We really didn’t see how we could avoid them if we kept on going so we turned around and swam back the way we had come. I was so busy avoiding jellies, lovely as they were, that I really couldn’t enjoy our snorkel. Once we crossed the little channel there were no more, but I did have to avoid a very small clear jellyfish (box jelly, I think). From what I read they do sting for sure. The book said moon jelly stings only bother you if you are sensitive. Hellooo, that would be me! Everything breaks me out and I’m highly allergic to steroids so there is nothing I can do for the itching. Consequently, I didn’t see a lot at my favorite place this year, but I still enjoyed every minute there! That was the first time I had ever encountered jellyfish in St. John. We did see some very cool starfish, one was in pretty shallow water and a yellowhead jawfish. He was so cute “standing “ up out of his hole with his little yellow head and blue body. It looked like he was wearing a little bowtie! :lol: So cute. After we had rested a bit, I was getting hot so I had gotten back in the water to cool off and float and as I was getting out some people came by following a baby shark. The water was only about knee deep. I saw what they were following and thought it looked the head looked like a baby nurse shark, but they were saying it was maybe a lemon shark. I didn’t see the rest of him because everything happened quickly! I didn’t have my mask on, but tried to get a picture and missed! It was about a foot from me and that kind of had me in “scaredy cat” mode! I did get a great shot of a barracuda with his mouth open, though. He's at the end of the first song on my video. He looked fierce! After some more liming on the beach and enjoying the view it was time to go. We headed to Miss Lucy’s and she had closed the night before after having her full moon party. Since we were so far out anyway we went on to the Tourist Trap. We shared pork nachos AND Ted had a Tourist Dog and I had a Grouper Taco (We were HUNGRY! I stay that way on St. John.). :oops: He had a Drink right, Drive left and I had a Boom Boom to drink for a total of $67. I preferred my Boom Boom, but Ted liked his.
We headed back to our “cute little island house” and I could see the rain coming. Oh, and the wind! We had to bring some stuff in off the deck. I guess it was the part of Ernesto that blew through. One of the sailboats that anchors out off Hanson was lost that night. Crabby was telling my husband about his friend’s boat and later in the week we could see it. I thought maybe it was just that windy up on the mountain where we were, but evidently the sea got a bit rough, too. It was very cool watching the rain move and feeling that wonderful wind blow through, though.
http://youtu.be/c_pIzOadr0Q

Link to part 1: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=23767
Fisheye

Re: Backtotheislands trip report days 3 & 4

Post by Fisheye »

I loved reading this post!! My family and I ( on our FIRST st John visit) were at Leinster/waterlemon same day as you, apparently! After our fun time there we tried miss Lucy's too , and ended up at tourist trap for a great lunch andbeverages. I did waterlemon alone, as my peeps weren't up for what looked like a long snorkel. ( my daughter would normally have done it but was 6 months pregnant) I, too saw all the jellies (pretty) but just swam on (and no reaction if I did brush one). Was my fav snorkel , highlighted by the spotted eagle ray hanging out at the orange buoy on near side! Im a diver and have never been able to get that close to one! When I got back to my peeps who were snorkeling near the beach , there were the folks watching the little shark! ( saying it was a lemon) I was able to catch sight of it swimming off, but couldn't say for sure what variety he was.
So funny we had similar schedules that day!! We will return someday, as we LOVED our VACA on st. John! Btw, I asked some nice folks about how to approach waterlemon , and they gave me the good info, which I followed to a "t" . But they were carrying a lot of stuff ( ice chest, etc) so I doubt if it was you and yours.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Hey, Fisheye, I don't think it was us you talked to, but we do carry our little soft-sided ice chest . . . and chairs . . . and snorkel gear so we can stay awhile! Sad I misse the spotted Eagle Ray. :( Once in the Bahamas we got to swim right over one. My son spotted it and it was very cool! I was afraid of the jellies!Darn! I aimed my camera at "the shark" but got nothing since I was already practically out of the water. I love Waterlemon, regardless! We were the only ones at Tourist Trap, except some locals, while we were there. It was a beautiful day! Thanks for reading.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Nope! It wasn't you I spoke to, as those folks had one guy on each handle of a nicely weighted ( wonder what was in it--lol) ice chest.
Anyhow, I am looking forward to a return visit to st John , ESP now that I know a little bit about it! There were many more beaches/snorkels I didn't have time to do!
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

loved your trip reports.. thanks!
Tami
Image[/url]
CBama

Post by CBama »

enjoying your reports!!!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Enjoying your trip report!
GREAT pictures!
Our time overlapped! Wish we could have met each other! There's always next year! :wink:
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Thanks - Great report!
[/url]
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Fisheye wrote:I loved reading this post!! My family and I ( on our FIRST st John visit) were at Leinster/waterlemon same day as you, apparently! After our fun time there we tried miss Lucy's too , and ended up at tourist trap for a great lunch andbeverages. I did waterlemon alone, as my peeps weren't up for what looked like a long snorkel. ( my daughter would normally have done it but was 6 months pregnant)
Just wanted to say that I've snorkeled Waterlemon while 6 months pregnant :wink:

It's amazing how un-pregnant you can feel when you're in the water!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain