http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23494

Part III
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23523 added correct link

Villa Review with Pictures
http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... hp?t=23511

Part IV
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=23532

Thoughts and Observations from our trip:

St John was everything I had hoped for and more! The jingle from that advertisement on the Mongoose radio station 104.9 from St Croix comes to mind…one two tree and more. The kids and I loved that jingle that advertised a grocery store in that wonderful island accent.

Sometimes when you have planned an event for so long…the reality disappoints….Not the case with St John. The trip was one adventure after another…. One gorgeous beach after another….one breathtaking view after another.

We are Coral Bay people. I worried about booking a villa in Coral Bay for our first visit, but I am so glad I did. I loved our location in Coral Bay which was about 2-3 minutes from Island Blues. Lily’s and Love City Mini Mart provided any groceries that we needed for lunch and breakfast.
I really debated mid-island or Coral Bay, but finally picked Coral Bay. I thought mid-island would be preferable but I agree with posts from Flip Flop and Gromit that you aren’t extremely close to anything. You couldn’t drive down and be at several restaurants in two minutes.

The drive from Coral Bay to East end beaches, Salt Pond/Lamashur and then also to North Shore beaches is what really made it the correct choice for our group. Coral Bay seemed the perfect location to start to any beach. We were 10-15 minutes from multiple beaches.

We did drive over three nights to Cruz Bay. The drive took approximately 20-25 minutes. Cruz Bay just seemed crowded and hot to us. The longer we were in town the more money we spent!!

But having said all that….any location as home base in St John would be a wonderful vacation….. Coral Bay would be my first choice for location, but I could be happy at any location on island. We might explore other areas that were closer to that location.

Loading up and driving to beach every day

I didn’t know if this would be a hassle or not. It wasn’t to us. We left the beach chairs and snorkel equipment in jeep every night. In the mornings, my daughter would make sandwiches while I cooked breakfast. We would load one cooler with drinks and one with sandwiches. Grab our towels and beach bag and go. Normally we stay in a condo on the beach, but you still have to carry cooler and towels down ever y day there too.

If we were going to a beach with a long hike (Salt Pond, Waterlemon Cay) we would adjust what we took with us.

Carryon Only: We did not check a bag, and we still over packed. I saw all these people getting off the people ferry at the dock in Cruz Bay with these huge checked bags, and I wondered what in the world did they bring??? Maybe they brought food for the week along with clothing. I felt sorry for them pulling those huge bags around to the taxi

Things we didn’t do that I wish we had:

Reef Bay Trail

Annaberg Ruins (after seeing Augie and Eagle Ray’s pictures)

Pick up sandwiches from Sam and Jack’s (just never worked out. We did get homemade Raisin Crème Pies one day) this would be one advantage to staying closer to Cruz Bay

Eat at The Pink Corner (since it wasn’t open) and Skinny’s

Snorkel at North Haulover and Blue Cobblestone (didn’t want to carry snorkel equipment up to Ram Head)

Get smoothies from the smoothie stand (We just never stopped)

Now my trip is over after finishing...which makes me sad....needing more trip reports to read....
Last edited by CBama on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
54b

Post by 54b »

Enjoyed your trip reports though the constant sight of the Tide paraphernalia brought back some tough memories for this Longhorns fan...5 plays into the Title Game and our QB is knocked out with a numb arm, really? But I digress.

The Mid-Island vs Coral Bay decision comments were interesting because we passed that Smoothie Shack so many times on this last trip that we finally just said, we need to find a villa around there.

I figure areas like Mamey Peak are pretty much 10 or 15 minutes max from just about anywhere on island...and just seemed awesome to us. We stayed near Reef Bay last time and while we didn't mind the drive to Cruz, we only ate one dinner in Coral Bay and I think that was largely because of the drive over.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
augie

Post by augie »

You guys had an awesome first trip, and your trip report was excellent!

Don't worry about that list too much. There were a number of things on our list that we brought with us on the first trip that we've either yet to do, or just have got around to doing - such as the Annaberg ruins - it took us eight trips to get that in!

I have no doubt that you'll return - hopefully we will have the chance to meet you in person on island some time.

Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough job of documenting your visit - not only does it help and excite newbies, it also allows any of us with "the bug" to get a bit of relief from our withdrawl symptoms!
Come see us!
CBama

Post by CBama »

54b: so sorry...about the game....remember it like it was yesterday! I was kind of bummed when he got hurt too...wanted the game to be no question (kind of like the LSU game turned out this year)....

maybe mid-island would be great..might have to try that next time. We just liked being two minutes from the restaurants in Coral Bay.

your stay in Reef Bay: we enjoyed Salt Pond/Lamashur so much we did two days out that way..and then another quick trip back to Tourist Trap just for another ice cream and Drink Right Keep Left...which I don't know that we would have done if we had been in Fish or Reef Bay. I think you adjust your trip in accordance of where you are based..but what do I know since it's my first trip!!

I truly enjoy all your posts...you have a talent!!

Augie..thanks for the kind words..I definitely don't have the gift of writing or the great underwater shots (just wait till next time!)

But I do enjoy reading all the trip reports posted so I thought I would contribute and relive some of our trip.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Loved your trip report and it's getting me ready for my trip in 2 weeks! I have only been twice and stayed at the Westin on the first trip and in Villa Jumbie in Coral Bay the 2nd trip. Like you, I would stay anywhere for the chance to go, but I really enjoyed the quiet side of the island and access was easy wherever we wanted to go. I wouldn't mind a sunset view off my deck sometime, though! We will be staying at Sun, Moon, and Stars in Calabash Boom this next time so we will be even further out. Sounds like you got bit . . . just like most of us on here! St. John is a little piece of heaven!
By the way, the day you all got stung by jellies, could you see them in the water? Is it common there?
CBama

Post by CBama »

Backtotheislands.. my daughter said she saw some tiny ones but we never felt them sting? At Waterlemom for sure..maybe it was something else??

they were nothing like the jelly fish we have seen on the Gulf Coast..I have been stung which really hurts They were tiny compared to the ones we see here.

know you will have a great trip!! you will be even closer to Salt Pond/Lamashur
loria

Post by loria »

sounds like you need to plan another trip!!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
toni

Post by toni »

thanks so much for posting! loved your reports :D
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

loved reading your reports , i'm only 5 days till 2nd stj visit and the reports have me phsyched
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Great reports- so glad you had fun! Now I need to get going on mine.....