Rams Head Hike question?

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

Rams Head Hike question?

Post by Hawaii »

Hi all - Last summer we went to STJ for our first visit. We did visit Salt Pond which we loved but at the time did not realize this was the hike to Rams Head - I should have since I read both books recommended like 10 million times :lol: Anyway, would love to do this hike next summer with at least my son (husband was not real happy with the climb up the hill) Is the hike right to the right when you get to the beach or is it at the start of the trail - just a bit confused? Also, how long to do? Would there be somewhere for my husband and daughter to go while doing this with my son? I know Tourist Trap (which we loved) just not sure how long the hike takes. Our son will be 16 next summer - yikes! :lol:
rImage
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

You walk the entire stretch of the beach, and at the far end of Salt Pond, continue on the stone path that hugs the shoreline. I'm a map reader, as opposed to a guide book reader. I just find the visual easier to follow. Here's an excerpt of the Trail Bandit map. So, the green path is down to Salt Pond, walk all along the beach at Salt Pond, and then continue on the red path to the top of Ram Head. Go early in the day, late in the day, or on an overcast day. It's awesome!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

While there, please take the short hike over to Drunk Bay as well. This ended up being one of my favorite places on St. John during our last trip.

Our plan was to hike Ram Head, but we went to Drunk Bay and hiked up the hill there and down to a rocky bay below Concordia Resort. Such a different view!
CBama

Post by CBama »

My son just hung out at Salt Pond while we hiked Ram Head (he only had flip flops with him) I didn't keep up with the time...but it probably took us around an hour...just guessing there though...it depends on how much you stop to take pictures

I wish we had taken snorkel gear and snorkeled at Blue Cobblestone on the way back. The trail disappears at Blue Cobblestone...but just keep walking down by the shore and you will finally see it appear...

I agree with the comment to do the Drunk Bay hike also..well worth it.... There is a sign at the end of Salt Pond Beach directing you to the left for Drunk Bay and to the right for Ram Head.

Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

This is my favorite hike on St. John; the views are spectacular! For your first time, one tip is that after the first section of trail, you are led out onto a blue cobblestone beach. There is no longer any trail, per se, which can be confusing, but after 70 - 100 yards, look on your left, and the place where the trail resumes should be easy to find. If you stay out at the point for sunset, or head out at night under a full moon, each member in your party should have their own flashlight (and sturdy ankles). Trying to share one flashlight for a group is pretty awkward.

Kevin
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Are there any shade trees at Drunk Bay or Blue Cobblestone? I would like to hang out for a few hours before going back to Salt Pond.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

John LMBZ06 wrote:Are there any shade trees at Drunk Bay or Blue Cobblestone? I would like to hang out for a few hours before going back to Salt Pond.
I don't think so. But Drunk Bay usually has a brisk breeze that is somewhat cooling, and Blue Cobblestone is usually calm, so you could take a dip in the water.
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

This hike looks very interesting! We will definitely have to check it out on the next trip!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks everyone - I definitely want to do this on our trip. My husband and daughter will either have to hang out at Salt Pond or find something else to do. Salt Pond does make me a bit nervous as this was the only beach we saw bees (Hubby is allergic and carries epie pens but that would be a long hike back up if he got stung)Thanks again for all the great info.
rImage
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

If you're planning to do this in summer, you want to go early in the morning. Maybe drop your husband and daughter off at the Donkey Diner for some breakfast.

Before we did it, I had read it should take a little over an hour. It took us more than 2 hours, but we stopped a lot to take pictures. OK that, and we're really not hikers
:oops:
janet
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I second the early in the morning and bring plenty of water. It gets very hot up there.

Storms can come out of nowhere. Last year, I sat down at the end to post to my blog and in the 10 minutes it took me to post it went from no clouds and sunny to pouring rain and the wind was relentless. Of course, it stopped 10 minutes later but I was thoroughly soaked.

Pics of my Ram Head Hike:
http://stjusvi.com/ram-head-trail-20may-2011
http://stjusvi.com/hiking-to-ram-head

Another great hike is from Little Lameshur to Europa Point and Europa Beach. Both beautiful and pretty easy to get to from Little Lameshur. Your husband and daughter can hang out at the beach while y'all go exploring.
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

TrvlJohn - Thanks for the great pictures. Very excited to try this next summer. Now just need to find our villa for next summer.
rImage
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Here's a few more pics from my TR back then.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ella+drink
janet
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Jayseadee - Thanks for the great pictures. I really want to do this next July as long as we can get out early in the morning. Thanks again everyone.
rImage
CBama

Post by CBama »

we did the hike midday (on a hazy day)..the sun did come out on and off though...we did not take enough water..but we made it fine...I needed a dip in the water to cool off at Salt Pond upon arrival though.

The temps were in the nineties that day also...

so early morning would be much easier and cooler...