Coral Bay Trip report: Travel Day and Wrap Up LONG

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Coral Bay Trip report: Travel Day and Wrap Up LONG

Post by Xislandgirl »

We packed up and headed into town. Gassed up, returned the Jeep, and met Boston Mike and Nicolle for breakfast at JJ’s, where I got to finally meet the Bongo-Bongo guys.
Ferry to airport with Rachel and a Trip Advisor poster and then we arrived to a sea of people. It was the day after STT carnival, so we called Daphne and zipped through. Flights were uneventful and we were home on time.

Final thoughts:
One Particular Harbour is a lovely villa. Well- equipped and very well maintained. The view is just breathtaking and the steep drive (all paved) was not a problem after the first ride up. There were a ton of beach chairs and coolers, books and videos, CD’s and Ipod docking station, plenty of towels, and a fully stocked kitchen.

The bedroom linens were of very good quality for a rental villa and the entire house was decorated with just the right amount of tasteful tropical. There was a large selection of beautiful artwork.
We did laundry while there and there was a small cup of detergent left behind, I thought that was a nice touch. There were lots of little things that we noticed through out the week that told us the house was really cared for.

The pool was cold and the view from it was not what we had hoped. The location of the pool did not get a ton of sun, hence the temperature. This was a bummer for us. Not enough to be unhappy, just a bummer.
We stayed in the queen bedroom and it faced East. It made for great light, just at sunrise. We ended up closing the hurricane shutter on the window and hanging the neat sheet( the house had one) over the slider. We are early risers in general but that sunrise was a little too early for us.
Our friends were in the lower level master and they loved it. The only complaint they had is that there was nowhere to hang clothes as the only closet was a locked owner’s closet. Again, not an issue by any means, just an observation.

We really liked the house. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Coral Bay:
There is nothing wrong with Coral Bay. The views are great, the people are nice, the restaurants and shopping are good. I still do not like it as my choice for accommodations.

I know people say it is the quiet side of the island but I just don’t understand that. We have stayed in Reef Bay, Hart Bay, and Rendezvous and those locations are just as quiet, or more so, as where we were. Yes, the town of Cruz Bay is more active but I am not staying in town. My favorite restaurants are in Cruz Bay, most of my friends are on that side of the island, and the drive from Coral Bay to town and back is too much for me when I want to have a few drinks with friends. I do all the driving on island and I missed out on a lot of things I wanted to do, because I was not willing to make that drive.

It is unlikely that we will stay in Coral Bay again, although Chip would love to try staying out on the East End and never venturing further than Skinny’s for a week, but I don’t see that happening :lol:

Random Observations:
In general, service on the island left a lot to be desired this trip. Bartenders and servers really seemed uninterested in giving good service. It was not horrible, just, I am not sure what word I can use to describe it. Just not friendly or helpful. We left one place because the bartender ignored our empty glasses for over 15 minutes, another place had us on the wrong end of a terrible attitude until 2 locals joined us. Maybe it is because they were slammed with the April vacation crowd the week before and they were just tired, but off season money is as, or more, important than on season money and service really should have been better.

The weather was awesome. Nothing like our May trip last year; not too hot, not too rainy, just perfect!

Shopping in Coral Bay: I was afraid and I think some posters were cautious in their descriptions of Lilly’s and Love City, but there really was not a need to shop in Cruz Bay. I was able to find everything I needed, and some stuff I didn’t, between the 2 stores.

It was a great trip, but very different. We only had dinner out 4 nights, only once in Cruz Bay. I never made it to the Quiet Mon for a drink or La Tapa for dinner, but had 2 wonderful nights with forum friends, both visitors and residents. I was at the Beach Bar for an hour and only had iced tea. The furthest I made it onto the North Shore was Maho. I used more than a tank of gas. We had 2 boat days and only 2 beach days, if you don’t count the rainy day at Maho.

Someone at the office asked me how I could possibly go back to the same place every year. I told her because it was always different. It really is; this trip is proof of that!
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

X - I loved reading your trip reports and I completely agree with you about Cruz/Coral bay. We love the option to stop at a happy hour on our way home from the beach or head into town for a few drinks after dinner. I'm glad you had a good time. Did you get to see Bernie and MP?
Paula

CBama

Post by CBama »

enjoyed your report....
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

pswlrw wrote:X - I loved reading your trip reports and I completely agree with you about Cruz/Coral bay. We love the option to stop at a happy hour on our way home from the beach or head into town for a few drinks after dinner. I'm glad you had a good time. Did you get to see Bernie and MP?
NO! I didn't get to see so many people :cry:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Good info on the house, I have had it my "maybe" folder for a while.

I can see how being the only driver, especially at night, would be a bummer.

Based on our last trip, I would have to agree that Coral Bay isn't necessarily more quiet than other areas. The little store across from Island Blues had lots of load cars and motor cycles that were doing donuts in the dirt and racing their engines each time we drove by. One night, laying in bed, I could hear them racing in the distance.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I totally understand the Coral Bay thing. I've only stayed out there once, and I loved it, but I wasn't driving. John hasn't wanted to stay over there again because of the drive to/from the restaurants in Cruz Bay in the dark. I never understood what the problem was until I drove on island for the first time last summer. That road really is narrow and twisty in a way you don't appreciate as a passenger.

I am glad you had a fun trip though! I bet you are already planning your return.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Mar

Post by Mar »

Thanks X! Loved your trip reports!! Love both sides-- however agree that drive back in the dark is not one you want to make every night. One Particular Harbor looks beautiful!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

THANK YOU for taking the time to do a Trip Report! I really enjoyed reading it!

I love how we all go to the same island, yet have completely different itineraries, experiences, etc.

Thanks again!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I'm so excited for our stay in Coral Bay...Especially since I won't be doing any driving! :lol: