Lind Point Trail project

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Lind Point Trail project

Post by BRY1105 »

Hello everyone! I'd just like to get some opinions on the proposed Lind Point Trail project. You can find it on St. John Tradewinds if you haven't seen it already. Personally, although I do like the fact that they are trying to make the beauty of STJ available for everyone, Im not so sure about the "12-foot wide paved pathway" part. What do you think?
Bryan
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Oh no. This would be worse than all the hubbub at Maho!

12 ft, what does that buy you? Wheelchair access? Who would push a wheelchair that far? Motorized mini taxis? Bad, bad, bad.
augie

Post by augie »

Bicycles and scooters and skateboards - oh my!
Come see us!
54b

Post by 54b »

The idea seems ill conceived no matter how you position it...I have a hard time believing that it will truly relieve North Shore road congestion during high season when Trunk and Cinnamon will likely continue to be the most popular draws.

Are they going to make Honeymoon more like Trunk with snack bars and bathrooms? After the bike path, what's next...escalators to Salomon?

And frankly, if walking a mile or so - on what is already a decent trail - is what's stopping people from going to Honeymoon, I can't see the ability to ride a bike there overcoming that barrier to entry.

If the National Park Dock opened up a Sea Kayak rental stand, would people choose to go to Salomon/Honeymoon that way versus taking a cab/car to Trunk?

Salomon is one my wife and I's favorite beaches and we make it a point to go there every time we go to STJ, but we never considered it an either/or to Trunk, Cinnamon, Hawks, etc.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

makes it easier for the park rangers to get there as they could drive
Tom
54b

Post by 54b »

waterguy wrote:makes it easier for the park rangers to get there as they could drive
If that's their true motivation, let them keep taking the road from Caneel to Honeymoon...it's not paved, but it's in good shape and certainly not a a good excuse for paving a swath from Cruz to Honeymoon.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I guess I don't understand why all the grief. I read the article and it sounded like they were attempting to make it easier for folks with disabilities. They were aiming to make it compliant with the disabilities act, but can't see a way around having at least a few steps. What's wrong with making the trail more accessible for the elderly, young, or disabled?
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

They can't get the dock fixed that they've had closed since August. Do you really think this will happen in our lifetime?
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"