Soon come

Travel discussion for St. John
BillVT

Soon come

Post by BillVT »

Excited to see our names on the Forum members on island list. We've started to gather our stuff for packing.

For the first time in several years we are going to check a bag. It is not that we can't pack for carry on only, but we want to avoid the tension induced when loading the plane and worrying that we will not find enough overhead space. With the whole cattle call aspect that modern air travel has been reduced to, along with the checked baggage fees that seems to encourage people to try and stuff amazing amounts into that small overhead space, we thought it is worth the additional $25 bucks not to worry or fight about it. The only time our baggage has been lost briefly was when we missed a connection due to weather or had a flight cancelled for the same reason. On both occasions our luggage caught up to us the next day. So we're going for it and maybe throw in a few steaks in Polar Bear. We'll carry our masks, snorkels, swim suits and a pair of shorts in a small pack. Stick it under the seat and we are good to go. After years of paring down our packing list, we are returning to the dark side. Wish us luck.

By the way, could those of you on island now speak to the Manta a Francis and ask it to stick around until at least the end of the month? Thanks.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Have fun! I wish I was packing again.....

Based on what I saw between PHL-SJU-STT and back to PHL, you concerns are valid. We boarded first (and had minimal carry-ons) but it was so bad, FA's were taking peoples' carry-ons on each flight.

Things were getting testy on departing STT, the FA's kept getting on the PA over and over, telling people they MUST put all personal items under the seats.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Have a great trip Bill & Marcia!
Kim

Post by Kim »

I couldn't agree with more with your luggage approach! It has been so stressful lately trying to rush onto the plane to find an overhead spot for carry-ons. And then they all get so wedged in there, I'm always scared I'm going to hurt myself or someone else while trying to pry them out! For our next trip, my husband and I will do one larger checked bag instead of two small carry-ons. Just want to relax on the plane 8)
Hope you have a really wonderful trip!
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

We arrive the same day as you and will be doing the same. There are 6 in our family, so carry-on only was a bit of stretch to begin with.