1st trip in Coral Bay, I need an education!

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

1st trip in Coral Bay, I need an education!

Post by PA Girl »

Looking at the calendar, we were shocked to realize we are approaching the two month countdown to our very first trip staying in Coral Bay!

It feels almost like we are visiting a different island. Sure, we have visited during every trip but this will be our first time spending mornings and evenings there.

Aside from Donkey Dinner, are there any other places open for breakfast? We generally do breakfast at the villa but if there are places close by, we will go out. (I was always too lazy to drive into Cruz Bay and search for parking.)

We go out for dinner every night. There are six adults and one child. My thoughts for dinner are Miss Lucy's, Shipwreck, Aqua Bistro and Sweet Plantains.

Do we need reservations? Do these places even take reservations? We generally don't mind waiting if there is easy access to booze.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

I think you'll love it over there. We do still make trips over to the other side of the island when we stay there :)

Of the restaurants below, the only one we make reservations for is Sweet Plantains. You'll be there in high season so you may want to plan more and book reservations.

Of course, great lunch spots are Tourist Trap and Skinny's.

Donkey Diner is our favorite for breakfast. The other option is brunch at Miss Lucy's on Sunday.

I can give you another update when I return in mid January as we're staying over there also.
NancyB
toni

Post by toni »

Casual-Vie's and the (I believe) recently re opened Island Blues for lunch?

I like Aqua Bistro and Shipwreck :D
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

A place that's never mentioned for breakfast but that we enjoy is the dining pavilion at Maho Campground. We park down at Maho Beach, take the goat path up, grab a reasonably priced breakfast (I recommend the omelet) and admire the view.
I know it's not really Coral Bay, but it's an easy trip over the hill to get there.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Looking forward to your updates NancyB.

I would have missed Maho for breakfast, that will be fun.

We missed the Tourist Trap last trip so I will put that on the lunch list. We usually take nibbles to the beach and then get a light lunch on the way home from the beach around 2-3pm.
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Coral Bay is our home away from home. After spending the first 4 years on the Chocolate Hole side we decided to try Coral Bay this past April and we were "hooked" we just returned from our Halloween trip which was fantastic. Aqua Bistro is our favorite place to "hang out" and if you decide to do dinner there on Friday night when they feature the Ponzu Tuna you best make reservations because even in the off season the place fills quickly. I recommend Aqua Bistro highly the food and service is second to none. Have a great trip you will LOVE Coral Bay.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have only stayed in the Coral Bay area but eat out on both sides. My favorite is Aqua Bistro, Sweet plantains and then Shipwreck.

We always go in Jan and eat around 6-630 but found they like it if you have reservations. We really do not understand it because there might only be 4 tables full no line and they say oh you don't have reservations we will see what we can do. After hearing that several times last year we just called ahead when we could.

We have never ate supper at Miss lucy's but love there lunches there. Of course Donkey diner for breakfast and we got their pizza last year and found it quite good.Can't beat Skinny's for burgers and fish sandwich.

Enjoy!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Good info. I will make reservations. Actually, my group does best if they know when and in which direction they are supposed to be headed. Otherwise, a liquid dinner would be the outcome!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I saw a review of Sputniks on On-StJohn.com recently. They are open 8-8 (not sure which days) and they have Caribbean food and they have local seafood. If you like that type of cuisine, give it a try and let us know how it is! Its on our list to try.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

B&J in VA wrote:I saw a review of Sputniks on On-StJohn.com recently. They are open 8-8 (not sure which days) and they have Caribbean food and they have local seafood. If you like that type of cuisine, give it a try and let us know how it is! Its on our list to try.
Sylvia’s Clean Plate Jamaican Cuisine, at Sputnik, is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
http://www.on-stjohn.com/2011/11/18/syl ... n-cuisine/
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

We loved Coral Bay. I decided this past summer it's my "one particular harbor"! We loved Aqua Bistro and enjooyed Skinny's, Shipwreck, and Island Blues. IMHO I thought Sweet Plantains was overpriced for what we got - not my favorite meal. But we all have opinions! :shock: You are so close to Maho, Waterlemon, etc. The donkeys greet you each evening and I love the views! No sunsets and I don't rise early enough for sunrise, but would definitely LIVE in Coral Bay if I could afford it! :wink:
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Last year we were there in Jan-Feb for 17 days. In the middle of our trip Concordia started serving breakfast. I can't remember if it was just Sunday or every day. I just remember running into someone and they raved about it. The view can't be beat that's for sure.

We LOVE Coral Bay, and rarely venture into Cruz Bay.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We were in Coral Bay a couple of weeks ago.

Aqua Bistro was a favorite. The bar was very busy every night - SRO. Not sure if this is normal or if Island Blues being closed at the time contributed. Also, highly recommend the Ponzu Tuna (Friday nights.). Would also suggest making reservations there. It was packed the night we went (early November, not even Halloween week). There was an Aqua Bistro breakfast menu in the villa binder; maybe they server breakfast during the season.

Brunch at Miss Lucy's was great. Service, food, view were all great.

Donkey Diner pizza and calzone's were very good (Mon/Wed/Friday - I think). Also, recommend calling ahead and "reserving" your pizza. I think we got there at ~5:30p on the Wednesday and they only had a 1/2 pizza left.

The Tourist Trap is a great place to stop for lunch or late afternoon snack. It's hardly a restaurant :lol: More like visiting friends in their back yard. We love it there.

Enjoy!
janet
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Aqua Bistro is my favorite open air spot on STJ, not sure why. Maybe because it's just so non-descript, sitting there in the lot by the market & Crabby's. Service has always been casual & friendly,and the atmosphere just puts me at ease. As mentioned, the tuna is incredible, and MJ "wow'd" us with an incredible shark dish last visit. Great Bloody Mary's in the morning, and rockin' wings,too.
I LOVE Skinny's burgers & sandwiches, but my next favorite would be Shipwreck. I SO miss those conch fritters- to die for!
Gotta add my vote for Donkey Diner for breakfast...-deelish! (Pizza is perty darn good,too...)
Have fun, and always-
Smiles-
MJ
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

B&J in VA wrote:I saw a review of Sputniks on On-StJohn.com recently. They are open 8-8 (not sure which days) and they have Caribbean food and they have local seafood. If you like that type of cuisine, give it a try and let us know how it is! Its on our list to try.
I love that type of cuisine.

After all these years, you would think I would remember these places but when it comes to real planning, I can't pull anything from memory. Thank goodness for the forum!

I just pulled out a sheet of paper and made notes of all of the suggestions for my "file" (yes, I keep a file for each trip and I do take it with me)

Does anyone know if Miss Lucy's takes reservations for brunch? Or do you just show up?