Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 4 Final Installment

Travel discussion for St. John
bdkane

Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 4 Final Installment

Post by bdkane »

I believe I have fixed the photo issue in the previous post, check em out if interested- bear with me this is my first real attempt at posting pics.

Part 1, http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 173#245173 (with photos)

Part 2, http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 180#245180 (with photos)

Part 3, http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 225#245225 (with photos)

So… this was our last full day AND my birthday, let call it my... aaah... 30th… Yeah 30th

This day we head on over to Cruz Bay water sports to pick up our dinghy, We buzz around for a while just checking things out

Your Captain… Believe me I’m HAPPY! Its my birthday AND Im in a Dinghy - ON ST JOHN!

It does however appear that I am taking this captaining a dinghy WAY to seriously

We take a spin past Dennis before arriving at our first destination, Jumbie, this was another first for us, it is beautiful! 2 folks all the way to the right- that’s it

The kids now want to try a little snorkeling – FINS UP!

The beach is awesome- not the best for snorkeling but the kids are having a blast

Momma Bird & Syd

After about an hour and a half we decide to pack up and head over to Salomon, we hop in our dingy and were off! Guppy is NOT thrilled out on the open water; we probably should have laid off Discovery Channels “Shark Week” 2 weeks prior to our visit.

BREATHE BOY!

So NOW the Surprise, we arrive at Salomon and disembark from our vessel, as my wife is removing my son’s life vest we find we have a stowaway!

This guy - smack dab in the middle of my sons back!

Trust me it was much bigger and uglier in person! The funny thing was my son didn’t flinch, my wife screamed “OMG A SPIDER”, I was like big deal – move, then I saw it and I screamed! HOLY CRAP!

Guppy just jumped in the water- there where fish to see!!!

Last edited by bdkane on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Looks like an awesome time. Ive never had "dinghy day" yet, but plan on it next trip. Where did the spider come from??
Bryan
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Thanks for the report. Love the pics - you have a very happy family! Glad you enjoyed your trip to paradise!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Happy 30th birthday and happy dinghy day! :D

I would have jumped out of that dinghy so fast if I saw that spider! Looks like a Tarantula :shock:
I loved your reports and pics and thanks for taking the time to show us all the fun you all had!

Just remember months from now when it gets cold and dreary and you are wishing you were on the beach, just click on your trip report and it will take you right back . . . well almost!

Time to start planning the next one~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Thanks-

Dinghy day was fun, make sure you plan a little better than we did if you will be out all day, food drinks SUNBLOCK etc.

Were guessing the spider was a Tarantulas, about 4-5 inches in length, it must have gotten into my sons life vest while at Jumbie, he had thrown it on the ground, it must have been in it when we picked it up and put it on him, I have NO idea what I would have done had it actually bit him! especially on the ride over out on the water- Than God we didn't have to deal with that...
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Just read all the reports nice job! You really captured some great memories in your shots. Loved that shot at Dennnis with the rocks in the water, neat angle of that beach.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

Holy cow on that spider.

Nice pics.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

You got some really great shots! The one of your daughter screaming at the spider made me burst out laughing. I have only seen baby tarantulas before, I hope I never encounter a huge one like that!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Fantastic pictures and a great trip report. You have a nice family. Our first visit my wife was greeted by a small scorpion, very creepy but over the years we have come to cautiously accept the reality of many different creatures on the island but I must say that spider would have given me the "willies" :shock: . Thanks for sharing your vacation.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

That tarantula was out of control!! I would have passed out!!

I've enjoyed your trip reports! What a sweet family! Thanks for sharing!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Just an awesome trip report! Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

You're right about being too serious as captain of the dinghy.... or were you feeling sad that you had turned 30? :lol:

Were you using a water/beach safe camera? Some of these shots are awesome!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Most where taken with a Canon EOS Rebel, I also have a Olympus 8010 tough that I use in the water but didn't post any of those pics- didn't get many good ones

I tell you - when its sunny in STJ, every picture comes out nice
8)

Thanks
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

@ bdkane... great shots and you're right... when in paradise, it's hard to take a bad picture.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Loved the TRs!!! Great kids!!! That spider on my grandson, instant heart attack! You did good, as did the guppy.