Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 3

Travel discussion for St. John
bdkane

Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 3

Post by bdkane »

Part 1, http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 173#245173
Part 2, http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 180#245180

Well I hope this one works :oops:

So we left Gibney to head back and shower up, and head on out to Aqua Bistro, as always the food was excellent, grouper, grouper, grouper!

Grouper with Mango Chutney

SORRY – I couldnt wait!

The nightly special, a nice light meal, Grouper with Lobster in a parmesan sauce – WOW!

That’s lobster ON TOP of grouper- who’d a thought

When we arrived back at the villa we were met by a swarm of bugs! They looked like flying ants, they were on all of the glass doors and windows, there were so many you literally could not see out of the windows, very creepy- and gross, it felt like “The Birds”! By the time morning rolled around they were gone, only a couple of dead ones remained.

Because of hurricane Irene shutting down the NY airports we were given the opportunity to change our flights free of charge, so we did, we booked 5 days at the Westin for the remainder of our stay and called the Jeep rental place to extend our rental, GOOD TO GO, this was kind of a transition day, out of the villa – into the Westin, it went smooth, the Westin was actually nicer than I had remembered it.

One cool note: because the villas we had left was going to be vacant the next week, the property manager allowed to keep several beach chairs and a cooler for the remainder of our stay- way cool! Thanks Tommy!

Westin grounds

The following day toured the island and did a little shopping in the morning then drove out to Skinny’s for lunch, Blue Cheese burgers and Key Lime Coladas! We checked out the Jonny horn trail – it was definitely more site seeing than hiking, maybe we will try the hike in the future, but not today, I did get a cool shot of Hurricane Hole.

This is a shot I took earlier in the week while some sailboats where in the harbor

We spent a day or 2 just lounging at the Westin, while I thoroughly enjoy staying at a villa, I can’t deny that I don’t enjoy laying poolside being waited on…

This is Max @ the Westin

They had several birds – my son kept THEM very busy!

At this point we had 2 full days left to enjoy, this day we plan to finally make it to Cinnamon Bay and then head out to Leinster and Waterlemon again – our favorite snorkel

Perfect day at Cinnamon, the kids really enjoy it there!

After lunch we head out to Leinster – where you can see the water was VERY rough!

REALLY?!? Just incredible!

We could probably see 30 feet down, it was amazing, I was able to get the kids out on the rocks to the right, they were in awe! they could belive the amount of fish! NOW they believe me when I tell them there are about a million fish out there- come on in!
We where fortunate enough to see all the usual suspects, plus a couple new ones.
Turtles, one huge Ray, Barracuda... we also saw a couple Trunk fish - new for me and some squid again, I was amazed with the squid, they appeared to glow and just hover.

Some pics as we say farewell to Leinster for this trip and head back to the Westin

The road home…

Our last day to follow - Dinghy Day - with a SURPRISE!
Last edited by bdkane on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The pic with the boats in Hurricane Hole is interesting - this is where locals take their vessels to hide from a storm - tucked up into the mangrove creeks - stripped of windage with as many anchors as you own set out.
Great pics overall, Thanks.
parafins

Nice report!

Post by parafins »

Nice report,and great pics!Thanks for including Max.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
bdkane

Re: Nice report!

Post by bdkane »

parafins wrote:Nice report,and great pics!Thanks for including Max.
Thanks- that is Max - correct? I was calling him Esmeralda until my five year old corrected me :shock:
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Awesome! Two of my favorite meals, grouper with mango chutney from Aqua Bistro (unbelievable) and blue cheeseburger from Skinny's, Yum!!
Image[/url]
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Another great installment!