Plan B

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
BOATSRUS

Post by BOATSRUS »

Marcia

sending u a pm

Boats
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Friday...drive up here. We'll have a sleepover. Saturday...fly out of RDU to avoid the storm. I told ya...we'll get you home!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) takes a vacation on the east coast and

Emergency officials from Florida to the Carolinas were closely watching Irene Tuesday as the first hurricane to seriously threaten the U.S. in three years churned over energizing tropical waters. The storm has already cut a destructive path through the Caribbean.

An earthquake centered in Virginia has caused confusion and buildings evacuations in Boston, but no serious injuries have been reported.

:twisted: :twisted:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Have the Marcia's left the island yet?

I was watching the Weather Channel this morning and the reporter said mandatory evac for visitors starts at 8am.

That really sucks for them :(
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Hahaha! Still in NC. Evacuated Topsail Island yesterday. Holed up in a hotel in Wilmington on the Cape Fear river. Third floor. There were no flights out of here or RDU for six of us (plus, the car rental agent was going to charge us the equivalent of our home mortgage to dead head our car in Raleigh). So, we are gonna ride out this storm and make this the family vacation we'll never forget.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Marcia
Get to the store and buy things to eat that don't need cooking or refridge also water. Get all your electronics charged so you have some way to communcate if the power goes out.
Take care of you and your family.
Tom
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

waterguy wrote:Marcia
Get to the store and buy things to eat that don't need cooking or refridge also water. Get all your electronics charged so you have some way to communcate if the power goes out.
Take care of you and your family.
also get the car into one of the parking garages near the hotel

link to local story
http://www.wwaytv3.com/video/2011/08/vo ... sail-beach
loria

Post by loria »

OH WOw! stay safe and dry -- next time i plan a vacation i am DEFINITELY consulting you!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

There isn't any truly covered garage for the car. Valet put it where it is mostly covered and farthest (a relative term) from flooding danger. We all are charging our devices. We have coolers with some basic foods and bottled water. The hotel will supply one gallon per person, per day of water. We have a flashlight. Hotel will supply them as well. Generator will keep emergency hall lights on when we lose power.

We are as prepared as we can be. Now, we just wait and see how bad she gets.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Hey - on the plus side, you're all together! I've been through three Cat 2+ hurricanes when I lived in NC. Scary, but you'll be fine. Take care and get some playing cards and candles!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It might be to late now but looking where you are I think I'd of drove a couple of hours inland
Tom
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

We struggled with the option of going farther West, Tom, but got concerned about getting back here for our flights on Sunday if roads were still flooded. Honestly, we've done nothing but talk about and plan out our options for days. We are here now and this is it. Supposedly, airlines out of Wilmington are going to be up and running on schedule as normal on Sunday. We heard somewhere that planes have been moved out for now.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

alw1977 wrote:I guess I'm confused. Is a storm headed that way? If you're flying into Wilmington, the Outer Banks are a drive. It's doubtful a storm would hit the entire NC/SC coast. Alternate suggestions so you don't have to change flights: Hilton Head Island, Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington, Charleston/Isle of Palms.

Lots of really good coastal options. But why stress over something not likely to occur?
I am laughing as I sit in the hotel we evacuated to, thinking back on my silly concerns before our trip. Who would have imagined? Did I jinx us?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Anyone hear if they made it through ok
Tom
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

No my sister lives near there she had some damage so maybe Marcia has no internet and did not get out.

VT and northern NH got hit hard so areas the water went up 8 ft in 2 hours, they got 8" plus rain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_GESfXHbo