Trip Report. Europe. days one and two

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
CBama

Trip Report. Europe. days one and two

Post by CBama »

First Time Trip Report
My sister-in-law decided to take my daughter to Europe for her high school graduation present. Eventually some more of our family decided to tag along. There were six including myself, my daughter, my SIL, another SIL and her 2 daughters. We all flew Buddy Passes on Delta to Gatwick, England the end of July 2010. (really worried about everyone making it on the plane, so two went ahead and the remaining four followed the next day) We began the trip with 4 days in England.

Day One
Drove to Lewes, UK (SIL has friends there) lovely little village…

We were fascinated that everyone took their dogs with them, and they were all so well behaved.
Waiting patiently for owner to return

Me, my daughter and nieces

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY!!! Seven Sisters, East Sussex, England pics do not do justice to the natural beauty of this location.

We walked through a sheep pasture to reach the Seven Sisters. Image Image

Windy and cool even though it was the end of July, nice break from our 90-100 degree weather we were experiencing in the South ALL summer.

Must be windy all the time from the appearance of these trees..

Next stop….Eastbourne, East Sussex UK. Will not actually a stop…we just drove through taking pics…but it looked like very pretty.

all this walking and riding has made us hungry…so we are off to tea time at Dean’s Place Hotel

This was a budget trip…so anyone looking for a deal…we found specials at the De Vere properties, the specials were for one night stays only…but ranged from 20-60 pounds per room.
Each location we stayed in had an older section that was usually reserved for wedding, banquets, etc…and then another section where the hotel was located.

The staff was preparing for a wedding in the building…so pretty….

Day Two: Stonehenge

Then we went on pursuit of the elusive chalk drawings! Elusive since we had a map, but must have missed EVERY single chalk drawing on every road we took. We even turned around and looked and looked….finally after we had given up one of the girls said I SEE ONE! Had to drive into a church parking lot to make this lone picture

Then on to Avebury, a smaller version of Stonehenge, but you can walk by and touch.
So by now we are hungry AGAIN….made our way into this cute little town that I cannot remember the name of…But I do remember eating at an ASK restaurant which is a chain of Italian restaurants…had the best Banofee pie. On to another De Vere property to rest…

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Beautiful pics! Seven sisters is gorgeous...I'd never heard of that spot. Looking forward to the rest of your reports!
CBama

Post by CBama »

It's not really a big tourist attraction. I don't even know if there was a sign where we parked to enter the sheep field. There was a lighthouse and hotel further down the road for access also. Of the whole 12 or 13 day trip, that experience was my favorite.

This trip was the end of last summer, so just trying to remember everything.....thanks
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Those pictures of the cliffs are stunning. The UK is on our list for 2013 or 14.
CBama

more pics of Seven Sisters..

Post by CBama »