On island – mosquito report please

Travel discussion for St. John
John LMBZ06

On island – mosquito report please

Post by John LMBZ06 »

My wife and I are thinking of a last minute trip to St. John leaving this Friday or Saturday. She is worried about the mosquitoes and possible Dengue fever. We have been there before in October and it was not that big of a deal, I guess it is the Dengue fever and the rains that Otto left that are a worry. We do the regular precautions with spray. I was thinking that if there was going to be a swarm of them because of the rain, it would be hitting by now. I also understand that the government is going to spray today. The report said Cruz Bay and Coral Bay. Not sure how effective that will be. Anyone on island now with a report on how it was the last day or two?
mit43

Post by mit43 »

So far we have not had a problem. The only place we saw more than usual was today on the trail between honeymoon and Salomon beaches.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Hey John! You mean you would rather be in St. John than with all of us at Babe's this Friday night??? :shock:

I say GO FOR IT if you can!! But if you don't, will we still see you on Friday?? Let me know!! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Recently, it's been the no see ums that have been a real pain. I swear they are just teeth with wings. Mosquitoes seem about normal to me. I'm sure some places are worse than others, but here on Gifft Hill they haven't been bad. To deal with the no see ums, I wear loose fitting PJ bottoms and a loose fitting long sleeve shirt. They can't bite through clothing. Stay off the beach at dawn and dusk helps a lot as well.

And as far as Dengue...well, I would bet money that we don't have more of it now, it's just being better reported. We've always had it, but when the media gets involved, people are quicker to get themselves checked out for it and the clinics are better about reporting it.
barnbob

Post by barnbob »

I'm in Coral Bay and would completely agree - mosquitos are normal and no-see-ums are crazy.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

Scheduled fogging for mosquitoes was done yesterday on STJ. It was kinda weird drive down Centerline just after dark last night- low visibility.
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a perfect time to visit then. Now to see if I can make the schedule work. I will let you know Colleen if we can not make it to the Friday night dinner.
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

I got eaten alive when I was there a few weeks ago, and I'm fine. Just make sure to wear bug spray.
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

GO! :D How awesome to be like, oh hey...I think we will go to St John this weekend....I am jealous...and if you are leaving from Texas, I am from Texas too so you guys can totally take me with you! :D
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

John LMBZ06 wrote:Thanks everyone. Sounds like a perfect time to visit then. Now to see if I can make the schedule work. I will let you know Colleen if we can not make it to the Friday night dinner.
Thanks John! And if you need me to go with you to swat the mosquitos with a zap raquet for you, I'm a fast packer and could meet you at DFW in a jiffy!! :D :P
Hope you make it but hope to see you Friday too!! :wink:

msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

bnsilly wrote:GO! :D How awesome to be like, oh hey...I think we will go to St John this weekend....I am jealous...and if you are leaving from Texas, I am from Texas too so you guys can totally take me with you! :D
HA! Great minds think alike! BTW what part of TX are you in??

John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Colleen - We will be in town on Friday, so see you at the dinner.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

YEA!
Does that mean you are not going? BOO! :?

See you guys at Babe's! :wink: