Newbie with lots of questions

Travel discussion for St. John
SoulvilleUSA

Post by SoulvilleUSA »

There is a US mail service place in Red Hook just up the hill from the ferry. When Christine and I were there last April (perfect weather, perfect water!) I shipped back all the crap we dragged down (paid over $150 in baggage fees) plus a lot of stuff we picked up shopping in Charlotte Amalie for under $100. That was one of the best decisions I made the entire trip... we just rolled around our carryons all the way home (took a side trip to San Juan for a day and night). I wish I could remember the name of the place, but maybe someone here could help with that.

I wouldn't plan on picking it up the same day you fly in because that might be pushing things. Since you will be on St. John for a couple weeks I would suggest waiting until Monday morning (assuming you are flying in on a Saturday) it is a short ferry ride over and you could do some grocery shopping on St. Thomas (Kmart and the Costco-like place) while you are there.
Green tunnels and no stop signs

Sterling
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

Thanks for all the cooler/shipping advice and the car rental advice. I had pretty much decided we would need a car both places but now I know for sure! We have also decided on Guavaberry for our VG stay, so that is out of the way. Good to know they can help out with the car. (thanks Maggy)

We have hit a road bump though. Hubby and I are at a disagreement when it comes to our STJ cottage. I want to stay at Luna Vista, but get this, he thinks it has too much foliage and that means more iguanas and apparently he is deathly afraid of iguanas! (I had no clue)I don't know where in the world he has gotten this idea but he is driving me nuts with this! He thinks one is going to somehow get into the cottage and crawl into bed with us. lol
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I did not notice many iguanas. Those that I did see were small. Perhaps the dogs and cats keep them away.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Iguanas rock (look to your left). The guy in my avi would just hang out all day and sun himself (herself? I didn't check.) They are pretty mellow creatures.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Unfortunately fears are not logical, but you could tell him what Jim says, that the dogs and cats would scare the iguanas away. That I also believe is the truth.

Personally I love iguanas. They are the coolest creatures.

You can comfort your husband by telling him that iguanas on VG are not very common. I have only seen a few at Bitter End resort and one in the Valley.

When are you going to be in VG? If you are there between April 25 and May 2, we might see each other :D .
jmq

Post by jmq »

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

IslandElle wrote:
We have hit a road bump though. Hubby and I are at a disagreement when it comes to our STJ cottage. I want to stay at Luna Vista, but get this, he thinks it has too much foliage and that means more iguanas and apparently he is deathly afraid of iguanas! (I had no clue)I don't know where in the world he has gotten this idea but he is driving me nuts with this! He thinks one is going to somehow get into the cottage and crawl into bed with us. lol
How does you husband feel about Scorpians? Some friends of our found these buggers in their room the first night of our trip. I should stress that this is very rare to have in your villa. It was just funny because the wife of the couple it happened to is deathly afraid of bugs.
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

Ok, so I was totally scared off with pictures of the huge bugs!

I do have a couple of new questions. We have had some new developments. A couple friend of ours is going to join us for our first week on STJ! It should be lots of fun. We have changed our villa choice and have pretty much decided on Limin' Time in Cruz Bay. http://www.caribbeanvillas-stjohn.com/L ... nTime.html The set up is great for 2 couples and the price is pretty good.

Here is my question. Where do the cruise ships come into? Great Cruz Bay, or Cruz Bay? There is a difference right? How bad are the crowds to deal with when the ships are there? I here there are about 1 a day in April. That seems like a lot to me. Thanks!
Connie

Post by Connie »

About Iquanas. I have owned 2 and I would NEVER have another one in my home....ever.

When a male matures, they can get very aggressive. I was sitting on the couch one day and "Artie" charged me for no reason at all. Almost took my nose off.

This was a pet that I loved, but I couldn't take the chance with him again. I had to give him away.

It's not good to feed the Iquanas on any Island. They easily become use to it and depend on those hand outs. That's when they nasty and can really hurt you.

I was also in Molly Mallone's one day and the owner took a cherry to feed a smaller Iquana...I knew it was coming, sure enough he got bit and blood was just pouring out of his finger.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

Ha ha, Connie! So I guess my Husband's fear's are not unfounded. Poor guy.

Back to my cruise ship question. I think the ships don't make it to STJ. Is that correct? Hubby found conflicting info on some random site. I keep telling him to come here. Not sure why he hasn't! Maybe he is scared of the iguana pictures! lol
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Hey Island Elle!
The cruise ships dock in St. Thomas and the people come over on the Cruz Bay ferry or excursion with the cruiseline. Most go straight to Trunk Bay or taxi tour down the North shore road.
Around the first of March you can check on cruise ship schedules for April here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/c ... ules.shtml
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
SoulvilleUSA

Post by SoulvilleUSA »

IslandElle wrote:Ha ha, Connie! So I guess my Husband's fear's are not unfounded. Poor guy.

Nah... there aren't any iguanas on the USVIs.... especially over at Sugar Bay resort on St. Thomas..

:lol:
Green tunnels and no stop signs

Sterling
IslandElle

Post by IslandElle »

You guys are really torturing him!

Thanks for the info Colleen. Very helpful. We are booking everything today so I am sooooo excited to get this part done!!
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

[quote="IslandElle"]
I do have a couple of new questions. We have had some new developments. A couple friend of ours is going to join us for our first week on STJ! It should be lots of fun. We have changed our villa choice and have pretty much decided on Limin' Time in Cruz Bay. http://www.caribbeanvillas-stjohn.com/L ... nTime.html The set up is great for 2 couples and the price is pretty good.

quote]

Limin' Time looks great. There is a path that runs past Viridian Garden Villa to a rocky beach. Then it's a short walk to the Westin beach.
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

IslandElle,
Sounds like you're having fun planning your trip! That's great! It's all part of the adventure!
Enjoy!